Dec 16, 2013

"Mom, How Can Santa Be Real?" The Truth About Santa

The Truth About Santa. With this letter as a parenting tool, I am relieved of the worry that in telling my daughters the truth that a special piece of their childhood will be forever lost, but rather, I now feel they will be given a gift that will help them keep the magic of Santa in their hearts forever regardless of the season.
My 8 year old daughter has begun asking questions about Santa's existence. On the way home from piano lessons tonight, she asked, "Mom, how can Santa be real." I know it won't be long before I'm going to have to give her straight answers to the Santa questions. This is one of those parental conversations I have dreaded. In poking around online trying to get some ideas from other parents about how they have handled this sensitive subject, I found a letter written by Martha Brockenbrough to her daughter Lucy, which answers the Santa question so beautifully that I cannot imagine any other way to tell my daughters the truth. With this letter as a parenting tool, I am relieved of the worry that in telling my daughters the truth that a special piece of their childhood will be forever lost, but rather, I now feel they will be given a gift that will help them keep the magic of Santa in their hearts forever regardless of the season.
This is the actual letter I will give my daughters when they are ready with much gratitude to Martha Brockenbrough.

1. Kathy Tedford12/16/13, 11:26 PM

very nice

2. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful letter. Merry Christmas!

3. TheChickenChick12/16/13, 11:35 PM

Thanks Kathy. Such inspired parenting by Martha.

4. Jenifer Rousseau Lawyer12/16/13, 11:45 PM

My 8 year old Sophia is starting to question a bit too....her innocence is prolonging the questions for this year I think, but her eyes say otherwise :) That letter puts a tear in my eye. So few years to truly "believe"..Pulling out all stops this year to try to make it to age 9 ;)

5. TheChickenChick12/16/13, 11:47 PM

I feel the same way, Jenifer.

6. Donna McGlasson12/16/13, 11:53 PM

Oh, Kathy, that is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.

7. TheChickenChick12/16/13, 11:58 PM

Wasn't it? I had to share.

8. Esther widgren12/17/13, 12:12 AM

How lovely. Can't believe I'm teary-eyed! Wishing you and yours a Christmas full of Magic!

9. TheChickenChick12/17/13, 12:13 AM

Thank you, Esther. ♥

10. shannon karcher12/17/13, 12:17 AM

Thank you for sharing this. My 6 year old son is inquisitive and very logical in his thinking. He has no interest in sitting in Santa's lap at the mall, or places like that because he says that he knows that they aren't the real Santa. Lately it's been wearing on me that it's only a matter of time before I get asked the dreaded question, and there is no point in lying to him- he knows, he always knows.They grow up way to fast.

11. Being a Santa helper is carrying on the spirit of Christmas.

12. Hunter4Liberty12/17/13, 7:38 AM

What a lovely way to explain Santa. Wish I had this when my daughter was young - she's 21 now and a senior in college. So, young mothers out there appreciate every minute - good times and bad. They grow up in the blink of an eye and then they are out the door and on their own. And then...you get more chickens! LOL. Merry Christmas, Kathy!

13. Kimberly Swenson12/17/13, 8:58 AM

My daughter is 14 now and found out Santa wasn't real at school. I have always told her Santa is in all of us. This letter really brings home that point. I will have to share this with her. Thanks Kathy!!

14. Kathy,
    I chose to tell my children about the real Saint Nicholas. He was a Turkish priest & was very kind to children in a time when children were considered a burden. They not only had to work but washed last & ate last so often were dirty & hungry, etc. He wore a long white robe as priests of that time wore & rode a horse - not in a sleigh (we got that from Zues.) On Christmas Day, St. N. would give the children who had so little a bread roll or some treat of food - because he cared. When he passed, parents continued to give in the name of St. N. which is a very honorable thing to do - to give in the name of someone else. I also explained that stores have changed his image to try to sell more, but the real St. N. lives through the act of kindness. That's just an abbreviated version, but thought it might help.
    Merry Christmas,
    JoeyLea

15. Kelly Mosley12/17/13, 9:43 AM

This brought tears to my eyes. That letter is wonderful! My youngest daughter is also 8 and I know her time to believe is almost over :( I actually made a banner to go over my fireplace that says "believe". I've wanted to make it for a year and finally got it done. I want my three girls to believe in everything, themselves, magic, love, God, miracles, Santa, Bigfoot, you name it I want them to think all things are possible. Thanks for sharing this. I hope to find that letter when it's my little ones time to know the truth. I think it will soften the blow :)

16. Cheryl Postma12/17/13, 10:11 AM

That is so very sweet! My children are Teena now and remember the sadness I felt when they became "too old" to believe in Santa. Hold on to that innocence and magic that Christmas brings to children for as long as you can.

17. Diane Poole Gilbert12/17/13, 11:05 AM

That made me cry! Thank you....my daughter has been asking this and I figure this will be the last real "Santa Claus" Christmas...this goes along with what I have been telling her to believe in the spirit of Christmas. Merry Christmas!!!

18. TheChickenChick12/17/13, 12:56 PM

Thanks for sharing, JoeyLea.

19. What a beautiful way to explain it!! Definitely saving this one for the future.

20. Bonnie Frank12/17/13, 2:36 PM

Beautiful! I would have loved to receive a letter like this when I was six and my sister told me there was no Santa. I pinned this to my "parenting" board on Pinterest so other parents can see it!

21. Vashti Q-Vega12/26/13, 10:41 AM

Hello Kathy! Wow! What a touching post. I could just imagine what it must be like to finally tell your child that there is no Santa (well, like they imagine there to be). I loved Martha's letter. Thank you for sharing it with us. Great post!

Vashti

22. TheChickenChick12/28/13, 1:57 PM

Thank you, Vashti.

23. That is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. <3

24. Ferne McAllister12/14/14, 6:31 PM

Love this. Thanks for sharing. I have two unique children, both of whom believe in Santa at this point. One is 19, and the other is 11. The 19 year old believes with his whole heart; the other is questioning. If I had it to do over, I would not have had my special needs kids have the myth, just because it is always so hard for them to figure things out. But until their bubbles burst, I have to admit it has been fun!

25. This is how I explain it to mine as well.

26. Sue Merrifield Meserve12/14/14, 6:56 PM

Beautiful! I believe!

27. LaDonna Martin12/14/14, 7:04 PM

Beautiful. it made me cry.

28. LOVE THIS!! <3

29. Chicken Mama12/14/14, 8:23 PM

My son is 7 and I have been thinking how I am going to explain things when the time comes. This letter is perfect. Thank you for sharing!

30. Gina Lunsford12/14/14, 9:46 PM

Genius! And super sweet.

31. P.l. Forgash12/15/14, 11:57 AM

Kathy, thank you for sharing. That is beautiful! Tears here and wishing I had known of this when that question came from my son :) Merry Christmas to you and yours (and of course the flickers!) Pam