Oct 22, 2013

Autumn's Vases: Gourds & Pumpkins

My chickens believe that my mums are for standing on and walking through, which is to be expected, but when I find the broken stems my feathered vandals have left behind, I can't bring myself to throw them away.
A recent trip with my daughters to a local pumpkin farm provided the inspiration for giving a second life to the broken mums.
This Cinderella pumpkin variety is my flock's favorite flavor.
Simply cut off the top of a gourd, scoop out the center, add water & fill with flowers.

Kate, my Speckled Sussex hen, always has to know what's going on and whether there's something edible to be had.

ThePinJunkie
Dear Creatives

1. Barbara Metzger10/22/13, 7:01 PM

are there any varieties of gourds you should not feed your chickens

2. I love mums, but alas I am terribly allergic to them! However, that is an adorable idea and there are plenty of other flowers that I could use. My little chickens always have to come see what I am doing and 'assist.' If I want some dirt scratched or something edible pecked, they are more than happy to lend a foot or a beak. If I don't want either, too bad!

3. TheChickenChick10/22/13, 8:46 PM

Not that I'm aware of.

4. I wish we had a pumpkin farm here! All those different kinds of squash and gourds would be so cool to see.

5. TheChickenChick10/22/13, 9:20 PM

They're really cool, aren't they?

6. Yes they are. I like getting them at the grocery store and cutting up for baking. I leave the skin on so it looks realy cool dished up.

7. What a fantastic idea, I truly love fall and all its rich colors. These look great. ~ Lisa

8. What a gorgeous and sensible project! Thanks so much for the great idea ;)

Erin

9. winnie rottem10/23/13, 11:09 AM

Everything looks sooooooooo beautiful and colorful :)
    You'd probably be surprised but pumpkins are not so popular here as we don't celebrate Halloween. So seeing all of this is still unique for me :)

10. loving my galaxys410/23/13, 11:28 AM

This is so lovely and so creative! I wish I had your creativity! Amazing

11. Cassidy Bradshaw10/23/13, 1:26 PM

My husband and I got married on November 1st (it's almost our 10 year anniversary) anyway- we had a few pumpkin centerpieces with flowers. I never thought to do smaller versions with gourds. Very cute, thanks for sharing :) cass-eats.blogspot.com

12. Gave mine a pumpkin at first they used it to stand on, I use a corkscrew to make a couple of holes and they went to town. They love it keeps them occupied

13. Hi Kathy. Thanks for linking up this beautiful & creative fall post (what an awesome idea for vases!) to Sweet Wednesday Link Party!

Have a Sweet Day.
    Heather
    MySweetMission.net

14. TheChickenChick10/23/13, 3:52 PM

Thanks Lynette. :)

15. Rosalie Almas10/24/13, 7:47 AM

Very nice!

16. Beautiful photos and I love your flower arrangement in the pumpkins!
    Stopping by from Pin It party to follow.
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

17. Vickie Redmond10/31/13, 1:12 PM

I need some help or rather advice on my roo Popcorn. He is 19 months old and has become very aggressive toward his 9 ladies and me in the past few weeks. I just don't understand what has made him this way.He started about 3 months ago and it has gooten so bad that this am I had to put him in his own pen. He is not a happy boy about this.

18. These are gorgeous! I'd love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Harvest Hop today!

19. DearCreatives10/31/13, 10:02 PM

Hi Kathy, Thanks for sharing at Inspiration Spotlight on DearCreatives. Your diy is being featured tomorrow! Theresa ;)

20. TheChickenChick10/31/13, 10:13 PM

Fun! Thanks Theresa!

21. TheChickenChick10/31/13, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the invite, Lisa. I shared! :)

22. Bonnie @ The Pin Junkie11/6/13, 9:57 AM

I love your fall gourd vases! They're so simple and stylish! Thanks for sharing this at The Pin Junkie Link Party! It was featured in a collection of fall decorating ideas. http://www.thepinjunkie.com/2013/11/fall-decorating-roundup.html. Make sure to link up your fall recipes at Friday's party!

23. TheChickenChick11/6/13, 9:36 PM

Thanks Bonnie!

24. Love these gourd vases, Kathy! Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Harvest Hop! I hope to see you back to share more fun posts today!

25. Debi Bolocofsky11/18/13, 12:24 AM

Great centerpieces. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above