Sep 3, 2013

DIY Ribbon Organizer Tote

This ribbon organizer tote is easy to make, inexpensive and stackable. I contemplated other storage methods that involved affixing the ribbon spools to a stationary rack, (wall-mounted, etc.) but opted for the flexibility of being able to store and use the ribbon in a variety of locations with this system.
MATERIALS
  • A sturdy plastic container with lid
  • 5/16” Wooden dowels
  • A 5/16” drill bit and drill
  • Permanent marker
  • Hot glue gun
  • ¾ inch, wooden, screw-hole plugs (alternatively, Tinker toys may fit these dowels. I think they would be adorable on both ends, but would be glued on the finished end only.)
INSTRUCTIONS

1.    Measure and mark the spacing of dowel holes on the container with a permanent marker. On each side of the box, the first holes should be approximately 2.5” from the short end of the box, approximately 2.5-3” down into the depth of the box, and a minimum of 5 inches away from each other going down the length of the box. (Use  ribbon spools to gauge placement, making sure that they match up on the opposite side. Mark as many holes as will fit spools and dowels. I used three dowels.)
2.   Using 5/16” bit, drill the holes in the container according to the marks.

3.  For dowel length, measure container’s width and add 2 inches to measurement. (The dowels will extend about an inch or so beyond the outside of the container.)

4. Cut all dowels to measured length. (Dowels are small enough to use a serrated knife to score around the dowel and then snap off the excess.)

5.  Using 5/16” bit, drill holes in the wooden screw-hole plugs half way through. Put some glue inside the hole and insert a dowel, which should fit tightly.

6.    When glue is dry, push a dowel through one hole in the box & load it up with ribbon. When full, push the dowel through the second, corresponding hole.
I thought I might need something to secure the unfinished end of the dowel in place, but the dowels fit so tightly that they stay in place without help. I secure the ribbon ends to the rest of the spool with either a small tab of tape or a sewing pin.

1. Totally love that it's dust proof...thanks for the tutorial.

2. DianaRambles9/3/13, 11:47 PM

Great idea!

3. Deb Brauneller Berning9/4/13, 1:38 PM

Very nice. I just have mine in a tote that lies flat so they don't move, but if you use a lot of ribbon you can unroll it without making a mess. Thanks for sharing.

4. Martha Wells9/4/13, 2:08 PM

Here is another cute idea for storage for craft supplies. Don't know where this came from, if it was off your site (Thanks!). I really like your ribbon tote. Martha

5. Laura Ryder9/4/13, 3:04 PM

That is a really great idea! I am always looking for ways to be more organized!

Thanks so much for linking up with The Great Blog Train!

Laura @ Mice in The Kitchen

6. WOW! What a great way to store your ribbon, love the fact that it is stackable!

I linked over from the Work It Wednesday Link Party where I am participating too and would love it if you'd stop by.

Hugs, antonella :-)

Antonella's Quilling Blog

7. nicole alexander9/4/13, 9:22 PM

this is a wonderful to keep all the ribbons. thank you so much for posting. i will be this.

8. TheChickenChick9/5/13, 12:02 AM

Will do, Antonella! Thanks for stopping by!

9. TheChickenChick9/5/13, 12:07 AM

Antonella, I'm a new follower of your blog and would love to have you link up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop. I had never heard of quilling- your work is beautiful! This week's party can be found here: I would love to have you to link up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-50-includes-3.html I hope you can make it!

10. Krista thehappyhousie9/5/13, 1:00 AM

I was just thinking the other day that I need a new ribbon organizing system- love this idea!! Thanks for sharing it at Work it Wednesday!! Hope to see ya back:)

11. Who'd have thunk it! Lol! Love this idea...how neat is that! Thanks so much for sharing it and thanks for linking up! Have a wonderful rest of your week! ;-)

12. DearCreatives9/5/13, 1:24 PM

Love this idea! Giving you a shout out! Thanks for linking up @ the party!!

13. Erin Sears9/6/13, 1:40 PM

So neat! If only I had enough ribbon to make one! Thanks for the DIY. Hop on over to my blog later for a DIY on a cute Fall card!

www.infinitygabbing.blogspot.com

14. this is brilliant! I need to try this for my Washi Tape!

15. Stopping by to leave my favorite "chick" some ♥

16. Wanda Hoffs9/8/13, 8:18 PM

wow ! what a great idea, I may just have to add this to my work room!! Thanks for linking up to DIY Sunday Showcase.

17. Love this DIY Storage idea! Thanks for sharing on the DIY Sunday Showcase!

18. Very Cute! Thanks so much for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist.
    Happy Tuesday!

19. This is such a great idea! How about ribbon AND washi tape! Love it! I'm cohosting a Pinterest Power Party tomorrow at 9:30am CST and would love to see you (and this post) there!

20. TheChickenChick9/11/13, 12:10 AM

Can you email me the link to the party, Heather! Kathy@the-Chicken-Chick.com Thanks!

21. TheChickenChick9/11/13, 12:14 AM

Aww, thanks Katherine. ♥ :)

22. I so need one of these...so useful! This would be great to link up to Create It Thursday #19…hope you'll join us!

23. Mackenzie @ CheeriosandLattes9/13/13, 11:57 PM

Great idea and so simple! Thanks for sharing!

24. What a great idea!! Thank you for linking up at the PINcentive Party @ Cropped Stories. I'd love for you to link up at my SEW Organized craft party! http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/sew-organized/

Marti

25. Hey Kathy! I was just stopping by to let you know you were chosen as one of the winners of The PINcentive Blog Hop! Congrats!

As a winner, your post will be featured and your content will be pinned a minimum of 31 times! We'd also love to have you co-host our next hop (goes live on Monday 9/16 11:00PM EST) and choose a winner! Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can discuss further :o)

croppedstories@gmail.com

26. TheChickenChick9/15/13, 1:32 AM

Right on! Thanks Elena.

27. Kathy!! I'm going to feature this again next Tuesday and I featured it on FB!! With a link back to YOUR blog post! :)

28. You have 'officially' been featured!! LOL Here is the link as promised! http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/sew-organized-ribbon-organizer-tote/

Marti

29. TheChickenChick10/2/13, 11:37 PM

LOL! Thanks Marti!

30. This is such a fabulous idea!! I love your blog!
    Jennelise

31. Love this idea!! Anything to try to tame my mass of ribbon that seems to be taking over the craft room! :)

32. Kim Daniels Lewis6/23/14, 5:19 PM

I love this idea! I need to make one for myself. Pinned. Thanks for being a part of our party. We love having you! Please stop by tonight at 7 pm and party with us! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com

Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

33. This is such a smart and cute idea! I love the portability too of using a storage box. Thanks for sharing your great project at Wake Up Wednesday!