Aug 17, 2013

Sesame Noodles

This is one of those recipes that's too good not to share with your friends. My former brother-in-law's version of sesame noodles has long been my favorite and I finally got around to asking him for it after years of good intentions. The problem? Since he has never shared the recipe before, there was no written version, so he walked me through it and I tweaked it slightly (he uses scallions, I prefer chives, he doesn't use sesame seeds, I added them and chicken, etc.). This dish is ordinarily served cold or at room temperature, but can certainly be served warm with or without grilled chicken, shrimp, etc.
SESAME NOODLES
1 lb linguine pasta (I prefer whole grain)
1 Tablespoon sesame oil

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

½ cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon Chinese hot oil (more or less to taste)
3 Tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/8-1/4 cup chopped chives or scallions

OPTIONAL:
Grilled, sliced chicken breast
julienne carrots, sliced sugar snap peas

Cook linguine until al dente & drain.
Toss with 1 tablespoon sesame oil & set aside to cool.

Add sesame seeds to a dry frying pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant. Remove from pan & set aside to cool.
In frying pan over medium heat, add 1 Tblsp olive oil and garlic. Sauté until garlic barely begins to turn golden- do not brown.

Remove from garlic from heat, add soy sauce, 3 Tbsp sesame oil, hot oil and sugar to pan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. TASTE mixture for heat level and add more hot oil if desired.
Add liquid mixture to pasta and toss to coat.
Cover & refrigerate overnight for best results.

An alternate serving suggestion would be to add the liquid mixture to the pasta while both are still hot, add the chives, sesame seeds, chicken/shrimp and any veggies and serve warm.
This is how the noodles look right after adding the liquid mixture. The liquid gets absorbed into the noodles in the refrigerator overnight and the noodles take on a slightly more plump, less shiny appearance.
Add cold chicken, sesame seeds and chives/scallions and serve.

This recipe was shared here: Foodie Friday

1. I must assume you serve this cold BUT it sounds like it would work very well served hot especially with the chicken/or shrimp? Thoughts

2. Flock Mistress8/17/13, 2:32 PM

Oooo, yummy. I have a similar recipe. I'll saute onions and asparagus and put that in to make a complete meal.

3. Kathy Fukuda8/17/13, 2:39 PM

I just got this in my e-mail, and it sounded fantastic. So, off to the kitchen I went knowing I had all the makings in my cupboards. This would be our family (6) dinner tomorrow night. The smell was awesome, and before I put it in the fridge overnight I "had" to try it. SO WONDERFUL!!!! I haven't even added the chicken or the peas or the seeds yet, and I could gobble it all up myself right now!

Thank you for this....and for all of the help you have given me since we added chickens into our backyard 3 short months ago.

Kathy F.

4. Kathy Fukuda8/17/13, 2:44 PM

I just got this in my in-box, and knowing that I had the ingredients to make it off to the kitchen I went. The smells alone were enough to make my four boys and husband start wanting to eat, however I told them they had to wait until tomorrow...however I "had" to sample as any good mom would. FANTASTIC!!!! I haven't even added the chicken, seeds, or the peas yet, and it is so, so good!!!!

Thank you for sharing this, and thank you for all of the help you have provided me since we decided to invite chickens to live in our backyard.

5. Much like a recipe given me by a grad student from Bejing, except she used honey instead of sugar. Fabulous with shrimp and scallops.

6. Merrilee Anderson8/18/13, 11:33 AM

You're always making things for your chickens and at first I was like- No way! I would not share these with my chickens! Haha. They sound yummy!

7. winnie rottem8/18/13, 3:42 PM

I could heat the whole thing by myself
    I LOVE sesame-noodles

8. TheChickenChick8/18/13, 3:48 PM

It certainly could be served warm. Good point, Mary.

9. This looked like something my husband would love, so when I got my daily email from you, I forwarded it to him. He promptly purchased all ingredients and made it for dinner. We served it hot, with chicken. DELICIOUS.

10. TheChickenChick8/18/13, 10:12 PM

Yay! I'm so happy you enjoyed it too!

11. TheChickenChick8/18/13, 10:18 PM

ROFL, Merrilee!!!! While the chickens would love these too, they'd have to fight me for them! LOL

12. TheChickenChick8/18/13, 10:25 PM

Ooooh, I think I'd like to try it with honey, Ann. YUM!

13. TheChickenChick8/18/13, 10:29 PM

I'm thrilled that you like it, Kathy!! (hey, SOMEONE has to be the family food safety tester, right? ;) )

14. TheChickenChick8/18/13, 10:30 PM

Sounds great to me, Amy!

15. Oh yum! I love sesame noodles! I would love for you to share this at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/08/what-i-am-eating-41.html

16. DianaRambles8/20/13, 1:27 PM

Delicious Kathy!!

17. We learn something new everyday, I didn't know there was such thing as Chinese oil! very interesting, and I bet it infuses the noodles deliciously! Thanks for sharing this recipe at Fluster Buster Party, I'm co hosting today! Have a fantastic week Kathy, Lizy

18. We had this last night from the Chinese restaurant but I bet this is better and I wouldn't have to worry about MSG.

19. Jennifer Duncan9/22/13, 11:44 PM

Looks great!
    Come link up with me today and share!! http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blog

20. Oh my goodness! This is right up my alley and I have Chinese Hot Oil! So, so ready for it - it's tomorrow's dinner! Muchas gracias, Senora Kathy!

21. Birdie Barb7/16/14, 8:26 PM

Wow! Forget the noodle shop! I'm going to make this and eat myself silly with it! Thanks Kathy!

22. Bonnie Breedlove Hawkins7/17/14, 10:44 AM

Which chicken did you use? lol

23. Making this for dinner tonight with shrimp! Thanks, Kathy! 🍤🍜

24. Melissa Farncomb8/4/14, 11:37 AM

Leftovers are great for lunch!

25. Tatiana Marie Bartlett1/30/15, 11:37 AM

I loved these!! I made the noodles separately, then sauteed grated carrot and zucchini, then a lb. of shrimp. Added it all together and thought it was as good if not better than the noodle shrimp bowl that Noodle Express makes!