Aug 19, 2013

Nest Box Solution: CHICK TV

There has been a fair amount of chaos in my coops recently- between coop renovations and broody mamas- and laying hens have been hard pressed to find a quiet, private spot to lay eggs.
There has been a fair amount of chaos in my coops recently- between coop renovations and broody mamas- and laying hens have been hard pressed to find a quiet, private spot to lay eggs.
Nest boxes sharing is normal and expected, but 3-4 hens per nest is a recipe for broken eggs, egg-eating and pecking injuries. The stress of competing for a nest is also likely to put the kibosh on egg-laying for weeks
 Nest boxes sharing is normal and expected, but 3-4 hens per nest is a recipe for broken eggs, egg-eating and pecking injuries. The stress of competing for a nest is also likely to put the kibosh on egg-laying for weeks-  I knew that to avoid these problems I needed to add more temporary nest boxes than the one I already had on the floor of the coop. So, I resorted to what any self-respecting do-it-yourselfer would do in this situation: I took a trip to the local landfill for inspiration.
There are countless options for temporary nest boxes from five gallon buckets to milk crates, cardboard boxes to empty kitty litter buckets, but I was in the mood for a little project and I found one.
I made this free-standing nest box using homemade apple cider vinegar for the  faux barn wood effect.
I made this free-standing nest box using homemade apple cider vinegar for the  faux barn wood effect.
 The landfill rarely disappoints and this trip was no exception; I scored two televisions that I knew would fit the bill perfectly, so into the truck they went and we were off to Demo Land! This 1983 Sony is a CLASSIC! Remember when you had to get up off the couch to change the channel? With a drill and some pliers we took the guts out of the TV, but my hens will have to wait their turn because my daughters have claimed it as their own for now.
When removing the insides, watch for any sharp edges and remove or file them down.
They sure don't make 'em like they used to!
The Sony is huge and ideal for use as a broody nest or hospital ward, but this Zenith is perfect for egg-laying hens. There is plenty of ventilation and just enough room to take care of business with no spare space for guests!
Black simply would not do for my girlz, so I gave it a quick spray with some pink paint and we were ready to give it a test drive!
I can confirm that CHICK TV is officially a hit! While my husband was in and out of the coop installing wall boards, he said layers were waiting in line for CHICK TV!  The broody in the nest box below hatched her chicks days later in peace, without being agitated by other hens.
Vera (Red Sex Link pullet) is a big fan of CHICK TV.
Vera (Red Sex Link pullet) is a big fan of CHICK TV.
Add a little Spruce the Coop Herbal Fusion to the nest and you've got smell-o-vision!
 The Chicken Chick is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com

1. Patricia Stowe8/19/13, 3:09 PM

that's awesome! Love it!

2. Laura Schaefer8/19/13, 3:11 PM

Super creative, and cute! :)

3. Cindy Sherman Mooney8/19/13, 3:13 PM

that is really a cute idea, and painted pink to boot! :-)

4. Judith Blinkenberg8/19/13, 3:26 PM

What a fantastic idea! We have an old tv to get rid of but now we can use it. Thanks so much!

5. Cranberry Morning8/19/13, 3:44 PM

This is the most clever and cutest chicken project ever! Pinned it. It's a terrific idea. :-)

6. That is just TOO COOL! Love it!

7. Gloria Guzman-Zapata8/19/13, 3:58 PM

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

8. copperllama8/19/13, 4:06 PM

Too Cute ! I love the idea.

9. Love your Chick TV! What an awesome upcycle, courtesy of the landfill. You are such an inspiration in so many ways!

10. Angel Macias Wiles8/19/13, 5:16 PM

so cool!

11. Darcy Salvadore8/19/13, 5:36 PM

I Love Chick tv! So cute!

12. Lisa Newlin8/19/13, 8:04 PM

This idea is clever, adorable, and hilarious all at the same time! You're so creative!

13. Terri Nichols8/19/13, 8:57 PM

I love it!

14. TheChickenChick8/19/13, 9:30 PM

Thanks Lisa. :D

15. TheChickenChick8/19/13, 11:08 PM

Thanks Darcy. :)

16. TheChickenChick8/20/13, 12:33 AM

Thanks! Necessity is the mother of Invention! :)

17. TheChickenChick8/20/13, 12:33 AM

Thanks Judith!

18. TheChickenChick8/20/13, 12:34 AM

Thanks Cindy. The demolition was the best part! :)

19. Deborah Paterson8/20/13, 6:20 AM

Love the idea and you did a great job making it pretty. Lucky chicks having you as a Mama.

20. We're just starting out with our chick's, but it's nice to know that complete crazy love for our hens will be perfectly acceptable! Thanks for leading the way! :)

21. Vicky Hallenbeck8/20/13, 9:28 AM

More sex on TV! No, no, that's sex-link IN the TV! Very innovative!

22. Shelia Dawn Carter8/20/13, 12:31 PM

Those are the coolest nest boxes I've ever seen. Great way to recycle. Thanks for sharing!

23. TheChickenChick8/20/13, 1:59 PM

Funny!

24. Sarah Eller8/20/13, 2:10 PM

I have just got to say, YOU are Brilliant girl!!!! Now I need to find an old puter monitor or tv at the dump!!!! We are in the country and have to take our trash to little dump stations. People out here up-cycle so much! Goodies like this are always set aside for someone to use. :) Thanks so much for the great idea! I love these projects. We have several silly ones. I have 2 big planter pots and some other fun ones. Don't know what I'd do without ya!!!

25. Judith Blinkenberg8/20/13, 6:01 PM

I made one! I haven't painted it yet. I put it on my Facebook page and gave you the credit but I didn't add you hyphens so it may not have shown up. I am Judith Blinkenberg or it could be 8machines. I can send you an email with the picture. Right now its black. Thank you for the great idea!
    jlblvn@gmail.com

26. TheChickenChick8/21/13, 2:09 AM

Thanks Anne. :)

27. TheChickenChick8/21/13, 2:10 AM

That's great, Judith, let me know how they like it!

28. TheChickenChick8/21/13, 2:11 AM

LOL, Sarah. Thanks. :)

29. Love the recycling idea and keeping my eyes open for potential nest boxes. Ours are getting crowded now with the new girls starting to lay. I just love the pink smell-o-vision...your hens can make their own chick-flicks now! :o)

30. TheChickenChick8/21/13, 4:58 PM

Thanks Sheila. :)

31. Sorry to hear about Brutus; he was a very handsome bird. If you are looking for a replacement may I suggest an Old English Game Rooster. I had one and he was the best pet I ever had. They are a bantam and their color is very much like the Black Copper Marans Rooster but no feathers on the feet. They are fighting roosters so I don't know how well he would get along with Blaze..

32. TheChickenChick8/22/13, 12:11 AM

Thanks Earl. I appreciate that.

33. Makes my day every time i read stories about being resourceful the creativity is a bonus :)

34. Marie-Claude Audy8/23/13, 12:41 PM

hahaha Chick TV ! So much computer monitor everywhere these days!
    Even in the chick's coop !

35. Kelly Zareski8/24/13, 11:52 AM

What a cute idea!

36. Donna Richardson Baker8/24/13, 12:18 PM

Love the creativity and reuse of unwanted items. Love to recycle. Going to have to try the 'Smellovision'.

37. TheChickenChick8/25/13, 1:38 AM

Thanks Ida. :)

38. We are new to backyard chickens and this site has been a big help. I find myself referring to it often. Thank you.

39. Mechell Decker8/26/13, 3:36 PM

I really like your site! It is very informative... I have always grown up around chickens but had never raised my own until a short while ago. Thank you for the advice and the neat ideas that will definitely help me with my chicken adventures.

40. Shel Reitmajer8/26/13, 9:31 PM

One question. It says at the top that, in order to be able to win one of the items, I have to subscribe to various things. I'm subscribed to email and am a follower on Facebook. Do I have to subscribe to something else too? Or ?resubscribe

41. Vickie Redmond8/27/13, 12:04 PM

What a beautiful way to help you remember your Brutus. I would love to be a winner also. But I especially adore the precious little red hen you have modeling with the GroMax.

42. OurNWSimpleLife8/27/13, 2:55 PM

This is a great upcycle! Creative, clever, and fun.

43. TheChickenChick8/27/13, 6:44 PM

Thanks! :)

44. TheChickenChick8/27/13, 9:32 PM

Thank you Vickie. That little hen is Rachel, she's my Bantam Cochin Frizzle.

45. TheChickenChick8/27/13, 9:41 PM

Nope, you're in like Flynn, Shel! Good luck!

46. TheChickenChick8/27/13, 9:51 PM

Thank you Mechell!

47. Kathy, what did you use to create the white chicks on the pink paint?

48. TheChickenChick8/28/13, 10:29 PM

I used my vinyl window decals that I sell in my webstore!

49. I can't get my two black australorp hens to use their beautiful nest boxes I made for them! One lays hers right in the coop (the chicken's) doorway! and the other (who just started laying 3 days ago) first laid hers in the pen (yuck), and the two other times across the coop from where her "sister" laid hers - BOTH times they were smashed :-(. I don't know if she's standing up and laying (ha) or if she's turning around and giving it a good peck! The chickens aren't eating them, they just look like they are smashed. Any Suggestions? I even put wooden eggs in the boxes to "show them where to lay" and that hasn't worked.

50. Very Cute! My sister would love this for her chickens. Thanks so
    much for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist.

Happy Tuesday! Come on over and share your latest posts.

51. Holly Yvette Kelly9/23/13, 4:36 AM

Old computer monitors would work for this as well!!

52. Tell me? Why doesn't each chicken get her own nest box?

53. TheChickenChick9/30/13, 10:39 PM

They don't all lay eggs at the same time and do not each need a nest box.

54. Christy James10/3/13, 8:35 AM

This is the most fun thing I've ever seen done with an old TV! We're so glad you shared it with us at our Get Your DIY on Fall Party Challenge! Our theme this Sunday is chalkboard projects, love for you to join us again!!

55. I was wondering about nesting box dimensions? I have a cube shelf I would like to use. It is a bit smaller than the chickens existing boxes. What is the minimum size a box can be? The chickens will be sharing with ducks so I would assume the nesting boxes for chickens should be off the floor and the duck ones on the floor? Thanks!

56. TheChickenChick10/24/13, 9:18 PM

The nest boxes should be at least 12x12x12 and it's fine for them to be at floor level.

57. Such a great site, I am learning so much.

58. Julie Guess Brooks7/27/14, 5:09 PM

Neat idea. Thanks for sharing!

59. love this great idea

60. PiTown Patty7/27/14, 8:55 PM

How did I miss this before? I love Chick TV! I put up nesting box curtains that clearly did not meet the approval of the pullets -- within two days they'd torn them down and pooped on them. Only my pride was hurt! While they are far too young to lay, they are very curious about the boxes and I've been trying to keep them covered until the time is right so they don't get the habit of sleeping in them.

61. Tina VandenHeuvel1/12/15, 12:32 PM

Kathy my cochin bantam has just started laying and was laying in the near box. Yesterday she was in the box but payed on the ground and today she laid on the drop board. Is there anything I can do to encourage her to lay in the nesting box.