Jun 14, 2013

Flock Focus Friday,First Weekly!

I never could have predicted that chickens would play such a significant role in my life or that photographing them would be so much fun. I was surprised and immensely flattered when real photographers began complimenting my work and magazine editors began asking to buy the rights to publish some of them. What I know about photography could fit on the head of a pin, but I do have a feel for composition and probably more importantly, I'm passionate about my subjects, so I suppose it balances out the technical ineptitude just a little bit.

While I take countless photos every week, only a few make it onto my Facebook page, so I am  launching my first, weekly Flock Focus Friday. I hope you enjoy meeting some of the less well known characters in my backyard and re-visiting some memories from years past.
We had record-breaking rainfall amounts this week. The chickens didn't complain though.
Doc Brown (White Crested Black Polish)

Aurora (a White Leghorn) reminds me of a seal at the zoo, sunning on the rocks. :)

The ever-chivalrous Blaze stands guard while the ladies enjoy some tasty treat.
Brutus (a Mille Fleur Serama) thinks he is MUCH bigger than he is. Love this little fella!
This girl doesn't have a name yet. She is the only girl to have hatched from a cross between Blaze (a Black Copper Marans and Gilda, a Wheaten Marans). I think her coloring is really special.

This was shared with: Adorned from Above, Bethany, the NGNRDGRL,Cheerios & LattesCrafts a la Mode,Dear CreativesDiana RamblesFluster Buster, From Dream to RealityThe Prairie Homestead,I Gotta CreateLavender Garden Cottage, Made In a DaySaltTreeSmall Footprint FamilyThe Pin Junkie,The T2 WomenThe Wilderness Wife
Photog Show and Tell - I was featured!!!

1. Shelia Dawn Carter6/14/13, 8:44 PM

I love your photos.

2. Thanks for the wonderful pics and some background info. Hope this continues for many more Friday's!

3. Windy Wallace Rodgers6/14/13, 8:51 PM

Regular and strong cowboy coffee for me too....lol.

4. TheChickenChick6/14/13, 8:53 PM

Me three!

5. TheChickenChick6/14/13, 8:54 PM

Thank you, Barbara. ♥

6. TheChickenChick6/14/13, 8:54 PM

Thank you, Shelia. ♥

7. Nancy Fitzgerald Hoggard6/14/13, 9:01 PM

I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog, knowledge, info and large cast of personalities in my first year of getting my cast of characters. I'm looking forward to more Flock Focus Fridays.....and the usual blogs and FB posts. THANKS!

8. TheChickenChick6/14/13, 9:12 PM

Thanks so much, Nancy. I appreciate that. :)

9. I love following you on FB and your blog is the beat! I look forward to seeing more Friday night flock feasts :)

10. Eilene Corcoran6/14/13, 9:32 PM

Do you do tours of the farm? A chunk of my family lives in Enfield.... if you did tours, I'd sure want to stop in when I'm up that way!

11. TheChickenChick6/14/13, 9:45 PM

Small world, Eilene! I actually don't do tours because I try to keep biosecurity tight in my flock's best interest. Other chicken-keepers can carry diseases on their clothes and shoes that their birds do not display symptoms of, but that can make other flocks sick (and worse).

12. TheChickenChick6/14/13, 9:46 PM

Thank you, Karen! :)

13. Cheryl Lindsay6/14/13, 9:59 PM

I would Love to have such a beautiful and varied variety of chickens!!

14. Love these photos - You do have a great eye and obviously the subject matter makes it even better. (nicely done shallow depth of field on that dew-covered rose =) )

15. Lovin' this new Flock Focus Friday...and your pictures are truly awesome !!! You are a blessing to all backyard chicken keepers far and wide. I can't count how many times I have referred to your blog posts or referred your blog to fellow chicken keepers. Thank you soooo much for all that you do !!!

16. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 2:10 AM

Thanks so much. ♥

17. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 2:11 AM

Thanks Tracy! :)

18. Are you the lady who had a sick chicken and could not even get a vet to look at her? I have thought and thought about the heroic efforts of that lady to save her chicken.

19. Karen Bates6/15/13, 8:40 AM

Fantastic pictures, what great subjects you have!

20. Allison Shenk6/15/13, 11:17 AM

I always enjoy your photos! You have such a wonderful place for chickens. I wouldn't get anything done...Thanks for sharing :)

21. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 11:33 AM

Thank you, Allison. ♥

22. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 11:34 AM

Thank you, Karen!

23. Love Rachel and the gang, I read quite a few Facebook, blogs and websites about chickens and various related subjects but I find your information, stories, wit and photography the most refreshing and informative! Thank you for sharing your chicken adventures and of course, Rachel! If I stopped raising chicklets I would keep viewing your site to live the chicken life vicariously through the stories you share!

24. I think the hen with no name looks like Mona or Simone to me. . . .

25. mamacitaliza6/15/13, 12:33 PM

i am vicariously living my love for chicks through you, until i am able to commit to "my chick romance" with the time & space they deserve. thank you for your education & passion.
    liza garcia

26. Your photos deserve all the attention they get! They're fabulous :) Love to read about your flock and learn so much about caring for my own!

27. Love, love, love! Your chook photos inspire me in my taking photos of my flockers. Thank you! I absolutely love your photos, poultry education (I've learned a lot from you & your blog), your coffee addict chicken pics on FB I relate with & share every morning. Please keep up the fabulous work! Chicken Chick fan for LIFE! <3, Missi

28. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 11:35 PM

Thank you Missi! ♥

29. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 11:35 PM

Thank you, Anne. That's so nice to hear. ♥

30. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 11:36 PM

That's so nice of you to say, Liza. Thank you. ♥

31. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 11:37 PM

Thanks Ann. Sometimes it's so difficult settling on a name and other times...they practically name themselves!

32. TheChickenChick6/15/13, 11:38 PM

Thank you, Roberta! I appreciate that. ♥

33. TheChickenChick6/16/13, 12:21 AM

I did share my Memorial Day dying chicken story on my Facebook page, Cathy. Ultimately, I did find a vet to see her and she correctly diagnosed fatal tumors in my hen. The vet euthanized her for me and I had her sent to a lab for a post-mortem exam, which confirmed the vet's diagnosis. It was a difficult situation, but a relief to find a vet who was competent to see birds and who could do the euthanasia for me. I miss my Esther though. :(
    Thank you for asking.

34. I just love the one with the "smell noises". hahhahhaha We got a big charge out of your pictures. What cute chickens. Hey, I'm going to have to do one for ducks.... my little duck flock and their dog house house for night time. Lots of fun here. Thanks, Kathy,
    Linda

35. suzanne kay6/16/13, 5:51 PM

This just cracked me up this morning!! You are very talented! Thanks for sharen at One Sharendipity Pl. this weekend!

sue @the2women.com

36. TheChickenChick6/16/13, 11:05 PM

Thank you, Linda!

37. So cute! :) I've shared your site with friends. Pinned to our board and will now feature this on Saturday on One Sharendipity Place! You are a very talented chicken chick!

Sue @ thet2women.com

38. I love your pictures! Especially the ones with captions on them! They get me giggling every time. I've saved some on my work computer for backgrounds to keep me smiling throughout the day :) Keep them coming!

39. I love how pretty your chickens are! Thanks for visiting & sharing at the party Theresa @ DearCreatives.com Hope to see you again soon.

40. Digital cameras are a godsend! I love being able to take picture after picture with no care for developing duds! Love your pics!

41. Rachel of course;) I would have no choice:)

42. Just found your blog, and I'm very impressed! My husband's hobby is photography, and I love it when he takes pictures of my hobby, chickens. After seeing your pictures, he's very curious as to what equipment you use, they are very good!

43. TheChickenChick7/10/13, 11:44 PM

Thanks Marci! I have five different cameras that I use, whichever is closest to the door when I head to the backyard, I grab!

44. Love these photos! Can't believe the variety in chickens! Thanks so much for linking up at Photog Show and Tell, you were featured! Come over and grab a feature button!

45. Wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing at Photog Show and Tell. You have been featured! Come on by and grab a button.