Jan 22, 2013

Cupcake Bouquet Tutorial

It's always nice to be given flowers, but better yet if they're edible!
These cupcake bouquets are fun to make, pretty to look at and taste delicious!

MATERIALS
Mini Cupcakes
Decorative container (vase/mason jar/candle holder)
Floral foam cut to fit container
12" Bamboo skewers cut to size
Frosting (see Wilton buttercream recipe, found below, or cheat & buy it from local bakery)
Gel food coloring (pink or red)
Cake decorating bag and tips (star tip or rose tip with rose nail)
Parchment paper cut into 2" squares (for making roses)

WILTON BUTTERCREAM ICING
Makes approximately 3 cups of icing. (Medium Consistency)

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Re-whip before using.

ASSEMBLY
1. Tint icing desired color with gel food coloring.

2. Frost cupcakes with a relatively thin layer of frosting to set crumbs.

3. Cut floral foam to fit snugly inside container. (a serrated knife works well)
Foam should be level with top of container.
4. EITHER use star tip to create swirls on top of cupcake OR
use rose tip with rose nail to make roses.

While I made this bouquet with roses, cupcakes with fancy swirls on top would look pretty too.

While I'd love to walk you through a tutorial on making frosting roses, it's not my strong suit.
There are many video tutorials on YouTube. I think this one is excellent.
 5. Place roses on top of cupcakes & insert blunt end of skewer into bottom of a cupcake.

6. Insert sharp end of skewer into center of floral foam. The center cupcake should sit highest in the arrangement. Arrange remaining cupcakes around the center cupcake.

Adorned From Above
Memories by the Mile

1. Melanie Akin1/22/13, 10:58 AM

What a lovely idea for Valentines Day!! Have to try this!! Thanks for sharing!!

2. These are beautiful! Can't wait to try them :)
    The
    Real McCoy(s)

3. Martha Michloney1/22/13, 11:20 AM

You and your Chicks are beautiful!  Thanks for the blog.

4. winnie rottem1/22/13, 11:58 AM

These roses are soooooooooooooo beautiful!

Gorgeous bougquet

5. These are beautiful! I would love to gift those! ;-)

Jamie

6. Jennifer Stewart1/22/13, 5:22 PM

Wow!  I love them!

7. Kathy, your tutorials are always awesome!  This is a must try!  Thanks again!

8. They are beautiful, but I would have to use a different recipe for the frosting. Not a fan of shortening!

9. these are just gorgeous!

10. This looks absolutely beautiful (and delicious, too!)  Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!"  I hope to see you again next week.  Many blessings, Lisa  :-)

11. Debi Bolocofsky1/23/13, 4:56 PM

Hi Lisa,
    Your rose cupcake bouquet is so beautiful.  Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures
    Nichi @ The Mandatory Mooch

12. Ana Sullivan1/23/13, 6:38 PM

I just found you from Adorned From Above.  This is way to beautiful for the average person, but I pinned this to my Valentine Pinterest board.  Read my article about preparing for Easter:

13. This is amazing!! Pinned:) New follower. Follow back http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/sweet-heart-pillow-upcycle.html

14. I've learn several just right stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a fantastic informative web site.
    Stop by my webpage : forex trading signals

15. Sujatha Pratap1/24/13, 4:46 AM

They look like real flowers.so beautiful..great...:):)

16. Wonderful post! We will be linking to this particularly great article on our site.
    Keep up the good writing.
    Also visit my web blog ; how to make fast easy money online

17. Wanda Ann Olsen1/24/13, 6:12 PM

These are so pretty and yummy looking.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

18. Kathryn Ross1/25/13, 10:49 AM

Hi Kathy - Thanks for visiting me over at The Writer's Reverie and inviting me to link in.  I will when I can but my teaching preps for the homeschool classes I give seem to eat up my week!  Want to get back into regular posting - so much to post so little time to do so!  Now - as to chickens - well, my hometown of Vineland, NJ used to be the egg and poultry capital of the world for the first five decades or so of the 20th century!  We only have one poultry house left now - lost all but 12 of our originally 15,000 egg farms here in the 1950's when the government started de-regulating grain prices but kept regulations on egg prices and put our local farmers out of business.  The region is littered with the remains of hundreds of chicken coops behind many of our older homes and estates.  Lots of great history in our region concerning the chicken biz.  Enjoying all the interesting links here - and hope to be back soon!
    Joy!
    Kathy

19. Oh my goodness.. what I would do for some cupcakes right now!

20. those are the prettiest cupcakes... I am 33 wks pregnant and it makes me really want  one!

21. wow those are lovely! i don't think i have the skill to make them...but i know i have the skill to eat 'em!

thanks for sharing :)

trish @ tales from
    ...

22. This looks
    yummy! Please share this in a new Linky Party --Weekend Kitchen Creations at www.weekendkitchencreations.blogspot.com.
    Please join us, share your delicious creation and get other scrumptious ideas.

23. This looks
    Please join us, share your delicious creation and get other scrumptious ideas.

24. Roxana White1/25/13, 7:46 PM

These are so cute, Kathy ;)

25. Laurie atSimplyCreatingHome1/25/13, 8:04 PM

How sweet! I just love the watering can used as the base, and your cupcakes are beautiful! What a fun gift that would be to receive!

26. Alexis Peloquin1/25/13, 8:06 PM

Oh wow that is beautiful!!!  They look like real roses!  Stopping by from Pin Me, stop by and say hi if you have a moment Running Away? I'll Help You Pack!

27. TheChickenChick1/26/13, 1:37 AM

Thank you Laurie!

28. TheChickenChick1/26/13, 1:37 AM

Thanks Roxana!

29. TheChickenChick1/26/13, 1:41 AM

Aww, so exciting Jessica! It won't be long now. Have a cupcake, you're eating for two. ;)

30. These are way too cute, and you are super talented :D

31. Marcie Peterson1/26/13, 9:13 PM

I love these. I was thinking of making my husband these for Valentines. I always get roses so why shouldn't he. :) All your cupcakes are beautiful. Thanks for sharing
    Hugs,
    Marcie
    I Gotta Try That

32. Christine Yoon-Taylor1/27/13, 7:36 PM

YUM!! and gorgeous! My girls are salivating over your beautiful cupcakes right this second! I guess I'll have to try making these for them, though I'm not much of a decorator... :)

33. TheChickenChick1/27/13, 9:36 PM

Thank you! ♥

34. TheChickenChick1/27/13, 9:46 PM

Aww, that's so sweet, Marcie! (no pun intended!)

35. I want some!!!!!!!!  Luckily I'm making cupcakes this afternoon, otherwise you would have to send me some hehe!

Thanks so much for partying with me last week at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!  I'm really looking forward to seeing what you share tomorrow evening!

36. navywifeypeters1/28/13, 4:06 PM

So cute, and they look delicious!

37. DianaRambles1/29/13, 9:54 PM

These are absolutely amazing!!!

38. Debi Bolocofsky1/30/13, 1:01 AM

Hi Kathy,
    Thank you so much for linking with my Wednesday Adorned From Above Blog Hop last week.  I have listed your posting as one of my featured links for this week.http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_29.htmlGrab the featured blogger button or just add a link back to the my blog.Thank you again for participating, and the link party is opened for this week.Sincerely,                       Debi Bolocofskywww.adornedfromabove.com

39. Oh, yes please! Wish you could send me a bunch! I don't know that I could ever get mine to look that pretty! Thanks for sharing @ DearCreatives.com weekly link up. Hope your having a great week!!

40. Love this! You are a cupcake artist! I don't think I have the patience to make the flowers~  I am featuring you tomorrow! Thanks so much for linking up with me last week! Love those Chickens!
    Kim

41. TheChickenChick1/31/13, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the feature, Kim!! ♥

42. I wanted to let you know that I featured your little tiny rose cupcakes! So darling. Hope you can join us for another party this week, also. Your blog is fascinating...even the chicken stuff and we don't even have chickens. We have ducks. They are too cute! Anyway, the party is open. Linda

43. Oh wooow, this is perfect!!

44. So pretty! And they look delicious too! I would love to have you join me today as I kick off my new blog hop...The Creative HomeAcre Hop!

45. You're a STAR tonight over at I Gotta Create! Love this 'sweet bouquet'!

Thanks so much for linking up,
    <3 Christina

46. These are ADORABLE!  Found you from the I Gotta Create features! Love this and am pinning!

47. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing on The Creative HomeAcre!

Hope to see you again on Sunday!

48. Kathy,
    Thank you for coming and sharing this beautiful bouquet of cupcakes at Memories by the Mile's link party. They were featured today! Have a happy Valentine's Day and hope to see you next week.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

49. TheChickenChick2/15/13, 5:38 PM

Thank you for the feature, Wanda!!

50. These are so gorgeous - thank you so much for linking up, Alice

51. Just to let you know I have featured the post at this week's Empty Your Archive party, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

52. I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight.

Have a wonderful week!

Hugs, Cathy

53. TheChickenChick5/22/13, 9:24 PM

Thanks for the feature!!!

54. Dear Kathy, How beautiful! Just stopping by from Foodie Friends. This would make a perfect gift too! Blessings, Catherine ..now following!

55. TheChickenChick10/18/13, 10:25 PM

Thanks for joining me, Catherine!

56. Gorgeous! and YuMMMMy - I want one =)

57. Pam@over50feeling401/23/14, 3:16 PM

These are gorgeous! I wish I could do this! Thanks for sharing on our blog hop!

58. TheChickenChick1/24/14, 8:40 PM

Thanks Pam!

59. this is such a delicious and creative idea. ♥ Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop . Big Hugs

60. Fiona Naughton2/5/14, 2:06 AM

Oh wow these look incredible! I would love to have a go at making these, they look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. Stopping by your lovely blog from the Wake Up Wednesday blog hop :)

Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

61. Angel Allen2/5/14, 9:48 AM

Kathy, these cupcakes are so lovely. What a great bouquet you created. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation at our Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party. Always so glad to have you join us.
    Angel

62. TheChickenChick2/5/14, 10:47 PM

THIS is the centerpiece you want for a Willy Wonka themed party--> http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/02/diy-candy-cake.html

63. Hi Kathy

Wanted to let you know that you are a Featured Link this week and you were pinned to my new Wake Up Wednesday Featured Post Board.

Awesome post. These cupcakes are beautiful.

Angel

64. TheChickenChick2/11/14, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the feature, Angel! Do you have a featured button? I looked but didn't see it if there is one.