These cupcake bouquets are fun to make, pretty to look at and taste delicious!
Decorative container (vase/mason jar/candle holder)
Floral foam cut to fit container
12" Bamboo skewers cut to size
Frosting (see Wilton buttercream recipe, found below, or cheat & buy it from local bakery)
Gel food coloring (pink or red)
Cake decorating bag and tips (star tip or rose tip with rose nail)
Parchment paper cut into 2" squares (for making roses)
Makes approximately 3 cups of icing. (Medium Consistency)
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Re-whip before using.
1. Tint icing desired color with gel food coloring.
2. Frost cupcakes with a relatively thin layer of frosting to set crumbs.
3. Cut floral foam to fit snugly inside container. (a serrated knife works well)
Foam should be level with top of container.
4. EITHER use star tip to create swirls on top of cupcake OR
use rose tip with rose nail to make roses.
While I made this bouquet with roses, cupcakes with fancy swirls on top would look pretty too.
While I'd love to walk you through a tutorial on making frosting roses, it's not my strong suit.
There are many video tutorials on YouTube. I think this one is excellent.5. Place roses on top of cupcakes & insert blunt end of skewer into bottom of a cupcake.
6. Insert sharp end of skewer into center of floral foam. The center cupcake should sit highest in the arrangement. Arrange remaining cupcakes around the center cupcake.