Jan 8, 2013

Chicken Dust Bath: The Ultimate Spa Treatment

Chicken Dust Baths
Few chicken activities are as entertaining to humans as the dust bath. To the uninitiated, stumbling upon a dust-bathing chicken can be alarming and is often mistaken for seizure activity or death. Prior to getting my first chickens, I had read about dust baths, so I was prepared for the sight and the first time I witnessed it, I found it hilarious-  I still do. A dust bath is the chicken equivalent of a shower- it is both functional and recreational; chickens use dust baths to clean themselves, to relax, and to socialize. The fact that they are entertaining to us is a collateral benefit.
Polish crested chick dust bathing in mulch
Communal Chicken dust bath
Dig, snuggle into ditch, scoop with beak, toss into feathers, roll, repeat, shake.

WHAT IS A DUST BATH?
Chickens care for their feathers and skin by digging shallow ditches in soil, mulch, sand, even pine shavings, then tossing it onto themselves. The dirt coats their feathers and settles next to their skin, absorbing excess moisture and oil. It also serves to repel parasites that would otherwise set up housekeeping among the feathers, causing skin and feather damage, irritation, weight loss and interfere with egg production and fertility.
In hot weather, chickens dig down into the ground to rest in cooler soil

At the end of a dust bath, the dirt is shaken off and the chicken proceeds to preen and groom its feathers back into place.
Post dust bath shake-out
Post dust bath shake-out.
Blue Splash Marans preening their feathers
Synchronized preening.
From a very early age, chickens enjoy tossing bedding up into their feathers and settling down into the shallow ditches they have made. Baby chicks appreciate a sand box for this purpose, but will dust-bathe in pine shavings if sand is not made available.
Quail chick taking a dust bath
This is a baby quail. Quail enjoy dust baths as much as chickens!
Mulch is a favorite dusting area for chickens
Mulch beds are a favorite dust bathing location for my chickens.
DUST-BATHING AREAS
When I was a new chicken-keeper, my chickens were confined to the run, which consisted of clay-laden earth that was much too dense for an enjoyable dust bath. I had read different suggestions for concocting dust baths that ran the gamut from sand to fireplace ash, road debris, peat moss, food grade diatomaceous earth and garden powder. I opted for plain, unadulterated, construction grade sand. The truth is: sand performs all of the functions chickens require of a dust bath- there is no need for additives. I use sand on the floor of my chicken runs and for litter in all of my coops and the chickens dust-bathe in all seasons and weather conditions.

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH or NOT
I am often asked about the utility and safety of food grade, diatomaceous earth (DE) in dust bath areas and have come to the conclusion that, not only is it unnecessary, it is unhealthy for chickens' sensitive respiratory systems. DE manufacturers recommend the use of respirators when using DE and I feel that if DE is bad for me to breathe, it is bad for my flock to breathe. For a deeper look at the subject of DE and opinions from two experts in the field of poultry keeping, a chicken veterinarian and Gail Damerow, read my blog article here. I do not use DE anywhere around my chickens.
Polish Crested chicks dust bathing in mulch
My baby Polish Crested chickens, enjoying a nice, mulch dust bath.
Winter dust bath in the sand, under the coop. As long as the sand stays dry
 it will remain loose and good for dust-bathing all year.

Chickens that are free to range will select their own areas in which to dust-bathe. Invariably, they will choose the driest, most dusty spot available. By far, mulch and sand are my flock's materials of choice. I long ago resigned myself to the fact that my chickens would scatter my mulch beds and dig up certain plants; that's their natural tendency and that's okay with me.
Golden Laced Wyandotte hen dust bathing
Thank goodness for that third eyelid!

1. Amy Harrett1/8/13, 11:46 PM

WOW! What fantastic photos! I so enjoy watching my chickens do their dust-baths, too.  It's amazing how they can make their bodies do some of the things they do when dust bathing. LOL

2. TheChickenChick1/9/13, 12:07 AM

Thanks Amy! I really get a kick out of watching their antics while dust-bathing. They're a riot.

3. Thanks so much for this. I will be getting my fist chills when the weather cools here and am finding you site v helpful.

4. Thank u so much for the info. Being a new chicken I had heard different things about whybthey were dusting.

5. Langela Richardson1/9/13, 9:14 AM

That quail chick looks like a guinea keet. Love its little bath tub! I love watching our hens take dust baths, too.

6. Karen Bates1/9/13, 10:28 AM

Thanks for this informative post.  I always love your photos!

7. Heidi Carlson1/9/13, 8:00 PM

Even though it is January, here in northern MN my girls have found scratchable dirt under the fallen needles in a row of pine trees. The area conveniently also faces south, and gets quite a bit of sun. They are over there, every day, bathing, snuggling together, and enjoying the relative warmth of the sun!

8. TheChickenChick1/10/13, 10:08 PM

Thanks Karen!

9. tricoteiras SF1/14/13, 5:42 AM

Olá Kathy!
    Primeiramente obrigada por acessar meu blog "tricoteiras sem fronteiras" foi uma alegria recebê-la.
    Suas fotos, são muito bem feitas. Suas galinhas são muito lindas!
    Seu trabalho é incrível, parabéns!
    Eu adoro fotografar estas aves elas tem uma fotogênia inata.

Abraço,

judy

10. I used to have chickens growing up I'm our back yard in the city! I will never understand the dust bath! Lol thanks for following I'm following back and will check out the blog hop!

www.momwifebosslife.blogspot.com

xx kelly

11. I just don't understand why my pullets never dust bathe. I've only ever seen one do it, one time, a couple months ago.

12. Steve Howie6/5/13, 12:20 PM

We have a two-year old Australorp who returns to the same spot, every day, when we free-range our birds in the afternoon - it's soft earth near a huge cedar tree and it's absolutely priceless watching her luxuriate in the soft soil. She is often joined by her boyfriend an Australorp rooster and they snuggle and preen together. The "pit" is now about 8" deep and growing!

A silver-laced Wyandotte does the same thing about 10' away. Hours of amusement :)

13. Even though it is January, here in northern MN my girls have found
    scratchable dirt under the fallen needles in a row of pine trees. The
    area conveniently also faces south, and gets quite a bit of sun.

this link

14. Thanks for the video. .it was cute watching them..love the blogs!

15. Linda Marinoski7/28/13, 7:25 PM

love watching them have a dust bath, very entertaining :)

16. chicken lady8/2/13, 8:17 AM

Hi! ;-) Im a first time chicken keeper, I have a question, so when a chicken baths in the dirt , it helps take care of mites an fles? Does it get rid of them ? An how will you know if thay have mites? Then will you need DE?

17. TheChickenChick8/2/13, 3:10 PM

This will help with your questions: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

18. Where can I get construction sand for my babies? Sounds perfect!

19. TheChickenChick8/15/13, 9:04 PM

A local quarry or landscaping supply/garden center will carry it.

20. Kathryn Wetzel8/25/13, 6:26 PM

Love watching our chicks dust bath!!!!

21. Denise Allison Magil8/25/13, 7:57 PM

i picked one of my girls yesterday after a nice dust bath yuck

22. What sand should I buy to add to my soil?

23. TheChickenChick8/28/13, 10:18 PM

This is what I recommend, Jules: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

24. Katja Sheikh10/12/13, 8:18 AM

How about finely grated egg shells? I bake cakes and have tone of egg shells. I pulls them into dust and feed some back to chicks but I only have 5 chickens :) so I came up with the idea to simply mix them with some ash and grid. Qails seem to love that!

25. Hi! I live in New Zeland and bought 2 Hy-Line hens just before Christmas (great present for myself). This is my first time having chickens and I just wanted to let you know how much I love your website and how helpful it has been! Just today I have been reading up on dust baths for my girls ... wanted to check its ok to use sand. I have your site added to my favourites so I can refer back to it. Thanks so much and keep up the great work! You are teaching & reaching people all over the globe! Happy New Year from Christchurch :) Shaz

26. Lee Su Win1/9/14, 1:59 AM

I am keeping chickens in my backyard and they get the free run of the garden

27. TheChickenChick1/10/14, 9:23 PM

You must get a necropsy in order to determine why they are dying. It is NOT because of the weather. Only a post mortem exam will reveal the cause. I recommend you do it as soon as possible so you don't lose any more birds if it's possible to contain the problem.

28. Brandon Marshall2/17/14, 5:59 PM

Why sand? My chicken don't want to live on the beach. I've been using landscape mix (finely ground pine bark i think) and natural native mulch from the tree companies for free. They love it! Just seems more "natural" And will eventually decompose and add it back the vegetable garden. Win-Win

29. James Bond Bond3/25/14, 4:03 AM

Awesome blog! Now In anticipation of a follow-up ….http://plus.google.com/112458942571457568265/posts

30. The slight roof overhang keep some clay soil dry against the house-a favorite dust bath area for my adorable buff cochin bantum