Dec 31, 2012

Max & (St)Eve's Story: A Tale of Two Roosters

Max, 11/11/11.
If you haven't met (St)Eve or Max yet this year, allow me to share their story. In July 2011, I hatched Max, a Black Copper Marans rooster, from an egg that was sent to me by Jen at Louden Farms. Before setting the eggs in the incubator, I knew I was going to have to re-home any roosters due to my neighbor's vocal aversion crowing, but figured I'd generate an adoption plan for any roosters if and when it became necessary.

I very quickly grew attached to Max and wanted to keep him as long as possible. I very much wanted to hatch some of his babies and was waiting for my pullets to mature in order to mate them to him. In order to placate the neighbors, I  brought Max into the garage or basement every night into his "man cave." We would let him out into the yard in the morning when he was less likely to wake up the neighbors. His days were numbered, but I had to find a good, forever home for him and was not anxious to part with him.

On New Year's Eve 2012, I hatched one very special chick of Max's. His mother was my Buff Orpington hen, April.
April.
I named the chick "Eve" for obvious reasons, hoping that the power of positive thinking would will the chick to be female and that a part of Max could stay with me.
Eve, 12/31/11
Eve, 1/1/12
(St)Eve with baby Maxon, 1/18/12.
Knowing how quickly chickens grow, I thought that it would be interesting to photograph the chick once every day of its first year. Signs quickly began pointing to the fact that Eve might be a roo, such as a pronounced comb and reddening wattles, long tail feathers and a telltale posture. I started referring to the chick as “(St)Eve," being unwilling to concede too soon that the chick might be a cockerel. By the time it became undeniable, the name with its unique spelling had become part of his identity.
(St)Eve 2/9/12
By February, both Max and his son, (St)Eve, needed adoptive homes before my neighbors lost any more patience with the two boys' crowing. Turning to my long-distance chicken friend, Jen Louden for consolation at the impending loss of my two boys, I wished aloud that Max could return to live on Louden Farms where he came from as an egg. Jen actually bit at the idea and we began to toy with the idea of transporting Max to Ohio. A few phone calls and emails later, we had hatched a plan involving a local limo company to transport both Max and his son (St)Eve back to Louden Farms.
Before he left, I made a video tribute to Max.
On Valentine's Day, 2012, I drove with my husband to the limo company with Max and (St)Eve.

The limo took us to Madison Square Garden in New York City where we handed off the boys to an acquaintance of Jen's, Tiffany, who also lived in Ohio. Tiffany happened to be in NYC showing her dog at the Westminster Dog Show. Tiffany drove the boys to Ohio, where they met Jen.
2/14/12 in New York City for the hand-off.
Jen and the boys arrived at their new home in the wee hours of the morning of February 15, 2012.
Jen's daughter, Sydney, bonded with (St)Eve immediately. ♥
Max and (St)Eve live happily ever after with the Louden family, who have graciously continued (St)Eve’s photo journal every day this year.  A Year in the Life of a Chicken, can be viewed on my Facebook page and on the Louden Farms Facebook timeline. I am confident we will continue to enjoy frequent updates about the boys from Jen and am grateful for her generosity and good humor in this endeavor and always.
(St)Eve 2/27/12
Jen Louden with (St)Eve 3/11/12
Savannah Louden, with (St)Eve, 5/23/12
6/12/12
9/3/12
11/9/12
12/30/12

Happy Birthday, (St)Eve!
   12/31/11                            12/31/12

1. Such a sweet story! I am so glad (St)Eve was able to go back to his original home. The photo of him with the baby is too much. So awesome they got to travel by limo - they are fancier than me! haha.

2. I love following St(Eve)'s pics! :) He also shares a birthday with my Papaw.

3. also.. your click link to A Year in the Life of a Chicken is pulling up a "page not found" for me...

4. TheChickenChick12/31/12, 9:46 PM

Aww, Happy Birthday Papaw. ♥
    Thanks for the heads-up on the link, Anna. I think I fixed it: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/max-steves-story-tale-of-two-roosters.html

5. TheChickenChick12/31/12, 9:46 PM

LOL!

6. Lavender Garden Cottage12/31/12, 11:51 PM

What a sweet story...with a happy ending!

7. Snooks Bohlman1/1/13, 12:57 AM

What an adventure for these birds. By the photos one can really see how fast a chicken grows. You would think you could acually see them growing as you watch them.

@ 3Beeze Homestead

8. Clint Baker1/1/13, 8:42 AM

I have mentioned your wonderful blog in a new post! Happy New Year!

9. This is great! I enjoy your posts so much.

10. Very handsome roosters! I do love having a rooster around, and I'm so glad the neighbors don't seem to mind. They did move into an agricultural area, after all :)

Thanks for sharing :)

11. I really liked that video. I got 8 chicks in May of last year and you really do get attached to at least one of them. My rooster has been named Road Runner, he is big but gentle. The White leg Horn was very aggersive I gave him to a lady who wanted a rooster and didn't have one. I have 8 White leg horn hens and 4 Black Jersey Giants and 3 white hens  and  a duck Pablo. The duck was given to me by my granddaughter, she bought her at a flea market at Easter time. Pablo thinks she is a chicken now, follows the chickens as they free range.    Ellen from Georgia

12. Pictures of my small flock especially Road Runner the red rooster and Pablo the duck. We always have out favorites.

13. winnie rottem1/1/13, 5:12 PM

Very sweet and beautiful story :)

The photos are fantastic !!
    I appreciate your sharing it with us

14. Right around the time (St)Eve & Max were packing to go on a trip is when we were finally able to get the internet here & I started following your pg. Who knew by the end of the year I would be raising both Max babies & (St)Evelings? Thanks to both you & Jen for all the fun & silliness through out this year. ♥

15. TheChickenChick1/1/13, 11:22 PM

That's so cool, Shelly. I'm privileged to have gained a new friend through the power of the internet. ♥

16. TheChickenChick1/1/13, 11:44 PM

Thanks for sharing, Ellen!

17. TheChickenChick1/1/13, 11:45 PM

Thank you, Garrett. :)

18. TheChickenChick1/1/13, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the shout-out, Clint! Happy New Year to you too!

19. TheChickenChick1/1/13, 11:53 PM

Isn't it amazing?

20. Angelique Tower1/2/13, 3:13 PM

Thank you for linking up to The Great Blog Train!
    Angie@ godsgrowinggarden.com
    Marci@ stonecottageadventures.com
    Helen@ blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com

21. Awesome and the pictures are great too!  I love your pink coat!!

Found your blog on the Train hop.  Happy to visit!

22. Marci Vaughn1/3/13, 7:49 AM

(St)Eve is as gorgeous as Max!  I'm so glad their story ends with "happily ever after"!  -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Thank you for linking up to The Great Blog Train!
    Angie@godsgrowinggarden.com
    Marci@stonecottageadventures.com
    Helen@blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com

23. Cheree Hull1/3/13, 10:20 AM

Goodness, he is beautiful!  Great story!

24. Hi, great posting., I enjoyed reading it.  Love your excellent pictures.

Have a nice weekend,regards. Greetings from Malaysia

25. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog "The Primitique" and inviting me to check out yours!  We used to have chickens and I LOVED reading about (St)Eve and Max.  I look forward to reading more.

26. I love that you shared his story! What a great one! And he's so beautiful! I miss our 3 roosters who were rehomed nearby.

27. Wow. Reminds me of the story of he ugly duckling. (St)EVE wasn't a pretty teenager, but boy is he a gorgeous fella now!!! I'm going to remember that name: Black Copper Moran. In fact, I'm going to make a chicken board on Pinterest and he's going on it!! Beautiful bird.

28. lol how cute!!! love the limo! thanks for visiting my blog als

29. Hi Kathy, new fan here from Natureshomespa.blogspot.com,  Anna, nice to meet you!  Absolutely love this story of a Tale of Two Roosters! I can totally relate! I have backyard chickens and rely totally on the benevolence and kindness of my neighbors! I only have hens, they are quiet little girls! Love em!
    Great post, and really awesome photos, wow.
    Anna

30. TheChickenChick1/8/13, 11:45 PM

Thank you, Amelia! Wow, all the way from Malaysia, I'm honored.

31. TheChickenChick1/8/13, 11:56 PM

Thank you Anna! I love all of your face and body scrub posts- they look good enough to eat! :)

32. your photos say 12/31/12 and 12/31/13...but 12/31/13 has not even happened yet, hehe.