Dec 25, 2012

Christmas 2012

Doc Brown on Christmas Eve

Santa has left the building.
Christmas morning, we awoke to a light blanket of snow.
They made it to Santa's Nice List.
The 'star' on top of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree in front of the coop.
Out of the run, ready for a nice, warm Christmas morning breakfast.
Lucy, Simone, Windy & Blaze.

Lola
Marilyn Monroe
Stella & Sonny
Esther, my scissor-beaked girl, warming her belly and feet, apparently.
A pip from the incubator Christmas night!
Our dinner table at the end of the night.
My final Christmas preparations were made with a heavy heart as I was constantly mindful of the children in Sandy Hook who would never see Christmas morning and their families whose lives were senselessly shattered on December 14th. One of my brothers read a beautiful blessing that he wrote for Christmas dinner, giving voice to our shared sorrow and offering hope in our faith. The following is an excerpt from that prayer:

Jesus entered the world in a stable
to save & to love; we gather at His table.

We now remember 26 dearly departed
and the weight of sorrow this darkness has started.

Our tears and prayers for families that weep,
consoled in faith, in Christ’s arms their angels sleep.

Forgiveness, kindness, love and more,
His gifts to us, which will heal and endure.

Christ’s birth reminds us of the blessings that await
as His love for us continues at His heavenly gate.
~Michael Shea
Luminaries on the front porch.

1. Madelyn Bloom12/25/12, 11:44 PM

Thank you Kathy, for sharing on 'Christmas Cheer #1!'

2. I love the closeup photo with your chick and the tree.  Also, your house and coop look so lovely with the snow on them!

3. Thank you, your brother found the words many of us couldn't, thank you so much again for sharing, have a blest New Year!

4. Thank you, your brother spoke the words many of couldn't find. Have a blest new year.

5. your tree looks great. Are those stockings for the chickens? If so that is awesome!

Happy Holidays!
    Garrett @TheGrowingPatch

6. Tracy Joyner12/26/12, 9:18 PM

I love your photos and those beautiful chicks!

TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

7. Anne Berbling12/27/12, 3:41 AM

Dear Kathy,
    Just stopped by to say "hope you had a Merry Christmas", and to wish you a fabulous 2013! Oh, how I wish I could have chickens (in town, city ordinance) ~ sigh...maybe someday (I have a Pinterest "board" called "Chicken Wishin')
    Hugs,
    Anne & the Kitties :)

8. Marci Vaughn12/27/12, 7:08 AM

What a beautiful poem!  Thank you for sharing it.  -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

9. TheChickenChick12/27/12, 9:43 AM

Aren't you sweet, Anne, thank you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! ♥

10. TheChickenChick12/27/12, 9:43 AM

Thank you Tracy. ♥

11. TheChickenChick12/27/12, 9:44 AM

They are for the chickens!

12. TheChickenChick12/27/12, 9:46 AM

Thank you Kathy. :)

13. Simone and the grey bird in the picture below her are GORGEOUS! Do you have a pictorial list that documents each of your chickens by breed and color of egg they lay? Your chickens are all so pretty and I'd love to see pictures of each of them!

14. TheChickenChick4/7/13, 11:44 PM

I don't, Elizabeth, but I will put it on the list of things to-do. :)