Dec 14, 2012

A Window on Christmas

I enjoy both a creative project and scoring a great deal equally, so when I spotted these six, beautiful windows on the side of the road, free for the taking, I felt like a kid in a candy store. They sat in my basement for months until recently when we began decorating our house for Christmas when I was inspired to put one of them to use decorating the house (instead of the chicken coops for a change!).
 The glass was removed from the panes and the frame, sanded.
The evergreens, bittersweet and pine cones were leftover from decorating my coops and wreath-making.
The remaining elements were created from leftover materials from other projects and decorations from Christmases past.
I was inspired by a Pinterest pin to make these stenciled blocks, which were wrapped with chicken wire when dry.
Pinecones, a little Modge Podge, gold glitter & leftover gift wrapping ribbon filled this window pane.
 I received some amazing, handcrafted soaps from Rural Revolution this summer, which were packaged so beautifully that I couldn't bring myself to part with the little, drawstring sacks. Hooray for being a pack rat!
Utilizing every ounce of skill I could muster from my 7th grade home economics class, I fashioned these stockings from the soap sacks and stenciled them.
 I'll put the other two stockings in the chicken coops.
I made this star using the same techniques and materials as I did in making my square wreath earlier this month.
  Bow made from jute scraps.
  Wooden Christmas lights garland and bells are decor of Christmases past.
This project took a lot more time than I imagined it would, but I live for this stuff, so I didn't mind. ☺

1. You always have such great posts :) I like that little chicken too.

Garrett @TheGrowingPatchwww.growingpatch.com

2. Swoon!  How awesome is that...and no doubt, you are the first to re-use our packaging for a project :)

3. for the last 20 years or so I have painted 'country' scenes on windows and sold them at craft shows.  Thro the years I have managed to accumulate a stack of windows with broken glass in them.  Since I sometimes traveled 500 miles round trip and paid good money for them at different salvage yards in the South, I was reluctant to part with them.  My creative mind was stale and this window of yours has inspired me....I think every one in my family needs at least one!!!!  Thanks so much for the inspiration!

4. Debbie Bosworth12/15/12, 9:11 AM

Hi Kathy,
    Well, you really have outdone yourself in the Christmas project area! I love your re-use of the old windows and all of the clever things you created to display inside! Clever indeed! Thanks so much for sharing with the Farmgirls and guy's at Dandelion House!

5. Langela Richardson12/15/12, 9:39 AM

Amazing creativity, Kathy! Would it be alright if I use an idea or two? I would never have thrown away those little soap stockings either!

6. TheChickenChick12/15/12, 1:50 PM

Absolutely! Have fun!

Kathy

7. TheChickenChick12/15/12, 1:52 PM

Thank you Deborah!

8. Very, very clever and SO pretty! Love recycling things but never as creativity as this. :)

9. TheChickenChick12/17/12, 1:26 PM

Thank you MJ. ♥

10. Manuela Williams12/17/12, 6:16 PM

Love what you did with the window and the stenciled stocking came out so cute!

11. TheChickenChick12/19/12, 12:36 AM

Thanks so much, Manuela!

12. Love those chicken stockings! Visiting from DearCreatives.com

13. Very creative. I love old windows!

14. Donna Wilkes11/19/13, 7:48 PM

Adorable little stockings - love the way you styled the window and repurposed items.

15. Love this window. What great ideas and the stockings are just awesome.
    Have a great week,
    Bev

16. Coach Outlet Beecher Legacy Canvas paper series gets a new feather to high specification, high compact spinning canvas material. His new tissues, contrast color inside, bag, without food, while still Coach Outlet Online pleasing elegant appearance. Glove leather is a return to the traditional ties COACH. Coach Factory Outlet Beecher Legacy Canvas Hamptons Tote large handbags, restored COACH original tag - simple flash-day, rather than the edge of the drum version with Coach Baby Bags hand pressure. You hang the bag comes with rivets, and the flat leather flip through Coach Crossbody Bags the tapered handles the details. The details of this remarkable COACH retro inspired design.