Nov 3, 2012

Autumn Leaf Rosette Wreath

The beauty of fall foliage here in New England is always so short lived, so when I saw a Pinterest project that utilized autumn leaves in a unique way, preserving their beauty, I went right outside and began gathering leaves!

The materials are simply freshly fallen or picked leaves, a glue gun, ribbon and a piece of cardboard (frame, optional).

The leaves should be pliable in order to bend them in the manner required.
 I had begun removing the stems from the leaves when I remembered that my four year old loves to cut ANYTHING with scissors, (her sister's homework, hair, the usual) so I enlisted her enthusiastic services. She was a brilliant, little helper, which expedited this fairly time-consuming project.
Determine the size of the wreath desired, then trace 2 circles & cut out the wreath form.(the circumference of my mini wreath was 4.5")
Hot glue leaves to the cardboard, covering the sides.
Begin making the rosettes by folding a leaf in half along the
center vein (pretty side out) then begin rolling.

After starting the center of the rosette, fold top edge of the leaf down and away from the center slightly to create a fuller-looking rosette.

The rosette on the left was made WITHOUT folding and has a more flat appearance. I prefer the look of the rosette on the right, which was made by folding, but both will work.

Each rosette will require  2-5 leaves. It's good to have a variety of sizes.

When the desired rosette size is achieved, place a dab of hot glue

on the top edge to secure the end.

Determine the height of the rosette desired, then snip off the excess.

The bottom edge should be level.

I made a 4.5" wreath form and my rosettes were 1.25" long.

Add hot glue to the bottom of the leaf and begin placing on wreath form.

Tie a piece of ribbon or tulle to the top and tie onto an empty picture frame if desired.

This project was featured here:
SaltTree

1. GlamorousMommy11/3/12, 8:17 PM

Thank you for hosting, enjoy your evening!

-Fotini

2. LittleOwlCrunchyMomma11/3/12, 9:21 PM

Thanks so much for hosting!

Linked up my post for CREAMY BLUE
    CHEESE DRESSING.

Easy, yummy, delish!

3. TheChickenChick11/3/12, 9:24 PM

YUM! Thanks for linking up!

4. Ginny Shepard11/4/12, 2:16 AM

Thanks for hosting the blog hop! linked up my blog  http://justjist.blogspot.com

5. What a cool wreath! I would never have thought leaves could look like flowers. Such a clever idea!

6. Happy Sunday, Kathy

Thanks for hosting another great party

7. I love it!  Thanks for sharing this.
    Thank you also for the invite to link up.  I was out of town when you commented over at my place.  Will try to come up with a post to link up next time!

8. This is such a clever idea! We are going to try it! Oh, and Eberly Barns has cute chicken coops!!!!!!

9.  "Eberly Barns has cute chicken coops!"

10. Marlo RepurposeMyLife11/8/12, 5:53 PM

wow. That's great. I had no idea from the picture it was made with real leaves. Very cool!

11. pumpkinpatchprim11/13/12, 12:30 PM

What an awesome site for chicken lovers! Learning something new everyday!!

12. pumpkinpatchprim11/13/12, 12:31 PM

I am so glad that I found this site. It's great for the chicken lover's out there, very informative!

13. TheChickenChick11/13/12, 4:15 PM

Thank you! Nice to have you with me on my chicken adventures! :)

14. Ricki Treleaven1/28/13, 8:01 AM

Wow, I can't believe you made those rosettes out of leaves.  They look fantastic! Very pretty wreath.

Linking from Debbiedoos,
    Ricki Jill

15. Janis@All Things Beautiful9/9/13, 2:08 PM

Well, knock me over!!! This is gorgeous!! I had no idea you could use real leaves. The colors are simply beautiful. I'm going to have to go scout out some pretty fall leaves now. Thanks so much for sharing! <3 Janis

16. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this via the Mommy Monday Blog Hop
    Consider this post pinned :)

17. MyLoveforWords9/10/13, 3:32 PM

This is gorgeous! I found you through the Two Girls and a Party link party, and will be featuring you on my blog tomorrow if it's okay with you. :) I'm not sure if you know about the "Get your DIY On" Party (through Just a Girl and Her Blog, The Happy Housie, Confessions of a Serial Diyer, The Hankful House, and House of Hoff) but they're featuring wreaths and this Sunday's party (the 15th, I think?), and this would be a great addition. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

18. TheChickenChick9/11/13, 9:59 PM

Thanks for the invitation! I linked up my DIY Ladder Planter.

19. Beautiful wreath! I love how you made the roses from leaves! How creative!

Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

20. Krista thehappyhousie9/14/13, 12:46 PM

Wow this is stunning - awesome tutorial on the rosettes - I have done them with burlap but what a fabulous new take on them!!

Thank you so much for sharing this at the Fall Get Your DIY On Challenge: Blue Projects. We were so thrilled to have you and hope you will be back tomorrow to share you fall wreath with us!! It goes live at 4pm PST.

21. Love the creativity! Super fun project for Fall! Thanks so much for sharing on the DIY Sunday Showcase.
    Cheers to you and yours,
    Therese @ Fresh idea Studio

22. Mrs Major Hoff (Sara)9/15/13, 4:01 PM

What a beautiful wreath, and how resourceful to use leaves around you. It is so meticulously made, I'm impressed with your patience! I'm sure it is very treasured! Thanks for linking up to the Dream*Create*Inspire party!

23. Really creative! That wreath is adorable! Thank you for sharing at the Dream*Create*Inspire party!

24. Andi Filante9/16/13, 3:00 PM

This is gorgeous! And I love chickens and want some for my very own! And I would name them George. :P

-andi

25. This is so beautiful. How have the leaves held up as they've dried? have the kept their color?

26. TheChickenChick9/18/13, 10:20 PM

Great question, Jen! I was shocked to find that they retained the vast majority of their color one year later and I have had it hanging in a bright spot in my kitchen. Really cool.

27. Christy James9/18/13, 10:50 PM

This is so pretty! I love how you made the rosettes out of leaves...makes your wreath the perfect fall colors. Thanks so much for sharing at our Get Your DIY on Party! Next week's theme is Thrifty Upcycles, I hope you can share with us again! It all starts Sunday at 7:00 est! :)

28. Denyse @ Glitter, Glue &amp; Paint9/23/13, 11:30 PM

Oh goodness, Kathy! I thought those were dried roses. What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursdays.

xoxo
    Denyse

29. Congratulations…this post was featured on Create It Thursday #22! Thanks so much for sharing such an amazing idea last week!

30. Would have never guessed that the rosettes were leaves! Such a clever idea! Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday!