Oct 11, 2012

Lemon Sugar Cookies. No Refrigeration required

After years of fighting with fussy, crumbly, sticky sugar cookie doughs, I finally found one that is a joy to work with. I wish I could tell you where it came from, but I have been making it for so many years that I just can't recall. I do know that it did not originally call for lemon zest or juice, those are modifications I made to the dough and icing because I love lemon anything; it adds just a hint of lemon flavor to the cookie without being overpowering or alienating the refined taste buds of small children.

What I like most about this dough, aside from the flavor, is that it is easy to work with; no refrigeration is required, there is no sticking to the rolling pin, cookie cutters or work surface and there is no risk of tough-textured cookies from overworked dough. I hope you'll give it a try with your family and enjoy making them together as much as our family does.
Lemon Sugar Cookie Cut-outs
4 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks) at room-temperature (don’t melt it!)
2 teaspoons vanilla
zest of one lemon

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
In a second bowl (with a stand mixer or electric mixer), beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
 Stir in flour mixture one third at a time to make a stiff dough. (If you can get a little witch in a chicken apron to help with this step, all the better.)
Don't be alarmed that the dough looks crumbly at this point- it should. The beauty of this dough is that it comes together due to the warmth of your hands, kneading it briefly until it just comes together.

Divide dough into 4 pieces, keeping covered with plastic wrap until ready to roll. DO NOT REFRIGERATE DOUGH.

Very lightly dust work surface with flour. With a rolling pin, roll out one piece at a time to 1/2 inch thickness. It's important not to roll out too thinly.
Cut out with cookie cutters.
Bake ON PARCHMENT PAPER until barely golden (approx. 12 minutes). Cool before decorating.

ICING

2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

food coloring

Mix sugar and water to form a thick, smooth icing. Divide into dishes based upon the number of different colors desired. Stir in food coloring to reach desired shade(s). Add any additional decorations before icing dries.  It dries very quickly.
To make leaf variegation in the icing, ice one cookie at a time, then dip a toothpick in a different colored frosting & drag the toothpick through the wet base color on the cookie.

1. What pretty cookies! When Shea got sick we had to cut sodium out of our diet. The way we got through it as a family was to have him season his food with herbs and spices. I really believe that the more time a child spends preparing their own food - the healthier their choices will be. I love to see kids in the kitchen. It is one of the most life long lessons that they can get.

Replies
    1. I agree completely, Sara. I love cooking with my girls.♥

2. Going to try these! Does the icing get hard, so you can stack them? (like flow icing) Or does the icing stay soft? :)

Replies
    1. The icing does harden so the cookies can be stacked, Loralee.

3. The one thing that always stops me from making sugar cookies is the refrigeration step. So this recipe sounds perfect for me!

Replies
    1. Patience isn't my strong suit, which is probably why I chose this recipe to test.
      I hope you enjoy making and eating this recipe!

4. These looks so lovely and I just adore your helpers. I have two helpers that I think would just love to make these together. Thank you so much for linking up to the blog hop.~Melissa

Replies
    1. My pleasure, Melissa. Don't forget to wear your chicken-themed aprons when you're making these, they're messy!

5. Love these cookies and the icing!! I will be pinning this recipe... :)

Blessings! Nancy

Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. They're really delicious too!

6. Love that signature photo of you and the chickens! I've heard that Australorps (sp?) are good lap chickens. I envision myself in my old age on a rocker on a front porch, with an Australorp hen on my lap and a German Shepherd Dog at my feet.

ANYway, the cookies (and little witch who made them!) are cute. Pinning the recipe. :-)

Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in today and for your lovely comment. :)

7. So excited to have found this blog and this recipe!

Newest follower here:) Found you on Bloggy Moms October 2012 Blog Hop. Come say hi!

8. Yum! These look tasty - I love anything lemon too. I also love your little helper's 'chef hat' :)

9. I love lemon.. Anyway to get more of it in my diet I'm for!

10. I am so excited about trying these for the upcoming holidays! One of my favorite childhood memories is of making sugar cookies with my mama and little brother, Jeff. Jeff has been gone for 28 years now, and it is the little things like this that help to keep my baby brother close!

11. TheChickenChick10/17/12, 9:14 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Candy. That's really special. ♥

12. TheChickenChick10/17/12, 9:18 PM

I'm not sure sugar cookies are compatible with any particular diet, but...lemon is a fruit! LOL

13. Oh how pretty! Your cookies look beautiful! What a great cookie idea for fall! :)

14. I love that these are no refrigeration! You have iced them so well though and I'm not sure that I can do that. I might have to stick with a round shape. LOL! Pinned!

15. TheChickenChick9/5/13, 12:14 AM

LOL. Thanks Carla. The icing is very forgiving as long as you work fairly quickly.

16. Michelle Rushing Hilton9/10/13, 9:14 AM

Love these cookies. I too love lemon and hate having to refrigerate cookie dough. These are definitely on my list to try. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

17. Samantha @ Five Heart Home9/12/13, 12:05 AM

Sugar cookie dough that's easy to work with? Sign me up! I agree about loving a hint of lemon, and your painted leaf cookies turned out beautifully. Can't wait to try your recipe!

18. Hi Kathy. These Lemon Sugar Cookies are absolutely adorable and perfect for fall! Thanks for linking them up to my party, my readers are going to love them! I appreciate you!
    Hugs,
    Heather
    MySweetMission.net

19. TheChickenChick9/12/13, 8:50 PM

Thanks Mary!

20. Denyse@Glitter, Glue & Paint9/13/13, 1:52 PM

Kathy! I love the idea of fall sugar cookies and with a taste of lemon...Yum!! You make me want to go bake! Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursdays!!

xoxo

Denyse

21. I have to confess that I've never had much luck baking sugar cookies. I'm definitely going to try these. Don't know if mine will look as amazing as yours do - love the fall leaves and the icing work is beautiful! I'm saving this one!

Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday!

22. Hey Kathy, your beautiful Lemon Sugar Cookies are one of my Top 5 Features from last week's SWLP (posting later today)! So, stop by and grab a Featured button!

Thanks again!
    Heather
    MySweetMission.net

23. Cassidy Bradshaw9/16/13, 12:53 PM

These are so pretty and I bet they taste great too! Just pinned, and can't wait to try. cass-eats.blogspot.com

24. Your lemon sugar cookies sound delicous and I love the fall cut outs - very pretty. Stopping by from I Gotta Try That party to follow.
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

25. TheChickenChick9/18/13, 10:05 PM

Yay! What fun!

26. TheChickenChick9/18/13, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the feature, Heather! I cannot get this week's party link to load for some reason. I'll try again another time. :(

27. TheChickenChick9/18/13, 10:12 PM

Thanks Cass!

28. momteaches29/22/13, 9:53 AM

We love all things "lemon" around here! I'm going to have to give this recipe a try!

29. alexisakamom9/30/13, 2:53 PM

They look so yummy and I love that you made them look like real leafs :)

30. DianaRambles10/3/13, 12:32 PM

They are so pretty!!

31. Angelique Tower10/8/13, 11:22 AM

This yummy recipe is featured on Tuesday with a Twist blog hop - thanks so much for sharing! If you get a chance pop by & grab a featured button: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/
    Thanks
    Angie

32. Oh mygoodness they are too pretty to eat! I have been posting to Clever Chicks Link ukp for several years and finally got asked to be a permanent cohost over at Country Fair Blog Party which is once a month. I'd be thrilled if you have time to link up a post! as always thanks for being so supportive of many many bloggers! Jan @ Tip Garden http://www.thetipgarden.com/2014/10/country-fair-blog-hop.html

33. Jan @ Tip Garden10/8/14, 6:17 PM

Kathy, thank you so much for linking this up at my new blog party gig! YOu are always so supportive! Your the best!

34. These look delicious!! I love lemon! Thanks for linking up to the blog party!

35. Congratulations! I picked this post as one of my favorites for the October Country Fair Blog Party!! http://talesofakansasfarmmom.blogspot.com/2014/10/october-country-fair-blog-party_15.html

36. Linda A. Thompson-Ditch10/20/14, 12:49 PM

I've been craving sugar cookies and I can't wait to try this recipe! I love the no-chill aspect of the dough.