Sep 2, 2011

Araucana, Ameraucana or Easter Egger (Olive Egger,Rainbow Layer): What's the difference?

Blue Ameraucana hen
What is the difference between an Araucana, Ameraucana and an Easter Egger chicken? If you’re confused, you’re not alone. Even the experts disagree on some aspects of the histories of these chickens. I hope the following clears up a few of the basics.
ARAUCANAS
Araucana photo
Araucana photo used with permission from http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/

Araucanas were recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) as a breed in 1976. They are blue egg layers with yellow skin, no tails, no beards and no muffs. They possess ear tufts, which are feathers that grow from a slender, fleshy flap just below the ear. The APA recognizes five colors of Araucana: Black, Black Breasted Red, Golden Duckwing, Silver Duckwing and White.

Double tufted Araucana rooster shown from behind, illustrates rumplessness
This Araucana rooster is rumpless and double tufted.

Araucanas are frequently confused with Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers, not only due to misinformation, but often knowingly by unscrupulous sellers. Araucanas are scarce in the United States, likely due to the genetic challenges in breeding. The tufted gene in Araucana is a lethal gene. Two copies of the gene cause nearly 100% mortality in offspring (usually between days 18-21 of incubation). Because no living Araucana possesses two copies of the tufted gene, breeding any two tufted birds leads to half of the resulting chicks being tufted with one copy of the gene, one quarter of the chicks being clean-faced with no copy of the gene, and one quarter of the embryos dead in the shell, having received two copies of the gene.
AMERAUCANAS
Blue Ameraucana hen
Ameraucanas have been bred from different strains of Araucanas since at least 1960 in the United States. The American Poultry Association recognized Ameraucanas as a breed in 1984. For an extraordinarily thorough and fascinating history of Ameraucanas, click here

Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. Other traits include a pea comb, white skin, full tails, muffs and beards (always together), and slate or black legs; they have no ear tufts. The APA recognizes these colors: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Sliver, Wheaten and White.

While Ameraucanas are more common in the United States than Araucanas, they are available only through reputable breeders, regardless of advertisements by hatcheries and other large-scale, distribution sources. If you are in the market for Ameraucanas and see an advertisement for "Americanas," be forewarned: there is no such breed. There is no "I" in Ameraucana. The misleading spelling is usually intended to imply that that Easter Eggers are Ameraucanas, which wrong on many levels.

All Ameraucanas featured in photographs here were hatched from eggs originating from Louden Farms.

EASTER EGGERS
Easter Egger hen
Easter Eggers (EEs) are not an APA recognized breed, they are a mix of different breeds. They are sometimes referred to as 'Rainbow Layers.' Easter Eggers are essentially descendants of Araucanas and Ameraucanas on one side of the family, and any other breed on the other side of the family. Easter Eggers do not breed true. To 'breed true' means that purebred chicks resemble both parents. Easter Eggers are often intentionally confused with Araucanas and Ameraucanas by use of the misspelling "Americana" or Americauna" by unscrupulous and/or ignorant sellers.

According to the Easter Egg Club of America, EEs are "the most popular chicken in America today."*  Easter Eggers lay a wide range of egg colors, including: any hue of blue and green and even pink on occasion. Other common EE traits include pea combs and wattles that are either small or absent.  They often have greenish legs and beards and muffs, but not necessarily. They can have any skin color. Their leg color can range from green to slate and even yellow. They can be found in an infinite array of feather colors, which makes them a beautiful and unique.
Olive colred egg from an Olive Egger hen
Egg from my Olive Egger hen
OLIVE EGGER:  An Olive Egger is a specific type of Easter Egger, that is produced by crossing any dark brown egg-laying breed (Barnevelder, Empordanesa, Marans, Pendesenca or Welsummers) with a blue egg-laying breed (Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Easter Eggers). The hens of these pairings will produce a green egg.
Olive Egger chicks
Day old Olive Egger chicks (Black Copper Marans x Ameraucana)
Olive colored eggs from Olive Egger hens (Black Copper Marans crossed with Blue Ameraucanas)
Black Copper Marans rooster with Blue Ameraucana hen
Blaze, the Black Copper Marans rooster & Clarice, the Blue Ameraucana hen produce Olive Egger chicks who will lay olive green eggs.
Black Copper Marans, Ameraucana, Olive Egger eggs
Eggs from my flock in January 2012
Olive Egger teenagers
Olive Egger adolescents (Black Copper Marans x Ameraucana)

The photos of Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers on this page are all from my own flock, The Araucanas were entrants in a poultry show I attended.
Double tufted Araucana rooster fabulousness
Araucana rooster.
Rumpless, double tufted Araucana
Rumpless, double tufted Araucana
Black Ameraucana chick
Black Ameraucana chick
Blue Ameraucana chick
Blue Ameraucana chick, day old.
Blue Ameraucana chicks
Blue Ameraucana chicks.
Blue Ameraucana hen
Blue Ameraucana hen
Black Ameraucana pullet
Black Ameraucana pullet
Easter Egger chick
A sleepy Easter Egger chick (4 days old)
2 week old Easter Egger chick
Easter Egger chick (2 weeks old)
12 week old Easter Egger chickens
Easter Eggers (approximately 12 weeks old)
Easter Egger, molting
Easter Egger hen, molting (Lucy)
Easter Egger hen
Easter Egger hen
Olive Egger pullet
Olive Egger pullet.

1. That was AWESOME. I had no idea, and I am new to chickens. I am so grateful for all your help, and education. Cock-a-doodle-doooooo

2. When I was a girl they were all 'araucana' but recently I started shopping for hens to share with my daughter & encountered all these varieties. It got so confusing. THANK YOU for clarifying this confusion. I am out to get my trio of 'easter eggers'. :)

3. very interesting, but still very confusing to me. Thanks for sharing.

4. @Diane: I like to think of it this way to simplify things: Araucanas are obvious- no butts. Easter Eggers are the most common but aren't a real breed, they're the mongrels of the blue-egg world; they're a mix of a pure-bred blue egg layer and anything else.

5. thanks for the clarification! i am currently researching since the hubby gave me the go-ahead for backyard chickens. i found you on mypetchicken :o) their chicken match tool selected ameraucanas for us, but i do see they might be a bit harder to obtain. i'm curious which of these three is your favorite -if you can choose? or really...just what you like most about each? my 3 year old daughter loves animals and is so excited about chickens...sweet breeds are high priority for us along with good egg layers...of course it doesn't hurt if the eggs are pretty :o) your blog is fabulous, btw! thanks for sharing.

6. Thanks for the information. I now know that I do not have Ameraucanas. Since I get a pink egg and the coloring of my chicken is the same as yours I must have Easter Eggers. It is all okay. I just want colored eggs. Would like to get a green egg and would really love it if I got a blue egg. Maybe the new chicks will provide me with color when they start laying. By the way they were advertized as Ameraucanas at the feed store. Should be labeled Easter Eggers.

7. Thank you for this post, it's much more clear to me now! I'm pretty bummed that I was duped into thinking I had bought Ameraucanas though, not because of anything huge, I just think it's a shame that farm stores misrepresent their stock. I'm still looking forward to the blue/green eggs of my 2 Easter Eggers though.

8. You are so awesome. Thank you so much for the information and the enthusiasm. I love your blog and your Facebook page.

Laureen
    Engineer and chicken mom

Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laureen! I'm so happy to have you along for the ride with me!

9. Heidi's Happy Acre Farm4/27/12, 6:41 AM

I have to laugh - My husband came home from TSC one day with 4 Rhode Islands and 4 Amerisomethings... I have been kind of wondering what my surprise hens were going to be and it was on my to do list to research. Now I don't have to! Thanks!

10. I ran into someone from the local feed store & told them abt. going to Ct. & all... I told her that I also got a true Ameraucana. She said "Oh, you didn't have to go THAT far! We have a bunch of them. They lay all different colored eggs!" I told her that those would be Easter Eggers & Ameraucana only lay blue ones. She acted like I was the crazy one!!! UGH!!!

11. I have 2 two month old Ameraucanas and I can't wait to see their eggs! I love your site, it is so informative. Thank you.

Replies
    1. Good for you Melody! It won't be too much longer now.
      Thank you for the lovely comment. I'm happy you've joined me. ☺

12. I absolutely love this blog post and have recommended it to all my friends who still think they have AmerIcauna's ;) Thanks for the great info!

13. Gina Brown8/2/12, 8:33 PM

I chose this blog, because I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see these eggs! We've only had a one real egg and not any from our Easter Egger or Ameraucanas. All are 5 months this week. I wish Mother Nature would give us a break and turn down the furnace! maybe the girls would have an easier time!

14. I have always wanted an easter egger!!!

15. I have a blue ameracauna chick named Bessie too!

16. I love my EE's. I now have 9 of various ages, so we are waiting to see the color of their eggs; ) Thanks

17. I didn't know the difference between the three. I got an EE this past weekend along with a Barred Rock and Black Australorp. They are in quarantine right now.

18. Just about all the new chicks we got in March this year are laying. We got all from TSC this year, and what a mix they have turned out to be. It truly looks like an Easter basket when I go out to get the eggs. We have 2 older Rhode Island Reds that if you're going for size=they can't be beat=always lay jumbo's!!

19. Oh no! Now after I get some Easter Eggers, I need to get some Olive Eggers! LOL! I love your page! I have so much to learn about chickens and I'm getting so much of it from you! Thank you!

20. Oh no! Now after I get some Easter Eggers, I need to get some Olive Eggers! LOL! I have so much to learn about chickens and am getting to much information from you! Thank you so much, love your page!

21. Kathy,

Could you tell us what chickens laid which color eggs in your gorgeous egg basket with the lavender spray?

Replies
    1. Hello Anthea! Sure, the dark chocolate brown eggs are laid by my Black Copper Marans, the olive green eggs are laid by my Olive Eggers, which are a cross between my Black Copper Marans rooster and my Ameraucana hen. The white eggs are from my Silver Spangled Hamburgs, the blue eggs are from my Ameraucanas and the various light brown eggs are from my Barred Plymouth Rocks, Welsummer, Blue Splash Marans (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. LOL!). Thanks for asking.

22. Beautiful birds...I would Love to get colored egg layers..

23. How did you know I wanted to know about them?
    Thanks!
    So much.
    LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!

24. TheChickenChick10/18/12, 11:28 PM

Sixth sense. ;)

Thanks for following!

25. Thank you for doing such a nice job to show the differences. One thing that wasn't mentioned was that commercial hatcheries generally sell only Easter Eggers but more often than not, sell them as Araucana's/Ameraucana's/Easter Eggers as though they were the same.

I always feel bad for those who think they are buying a true Araucana or Ameraucana and then sell the chicks as such, which perpetuates the problem for those who raise the purebreds. 99% of the time, when I respond to an add for Araucana's (I raise true, large fowl Araucana's) I am sent photo's of Easter Eggers and they tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, the hatchery told them they were Araucana's.....

It's appreciated, Thank You
    Cathy
    Five Hills Farm
    True Araucana's and Serama's

26. TheChickenChick10/21/12, 4:54 PM

My pleasure, Cathy. I actually did make reference to the common misspelling (utilizing the "i") by unknowing or unscrupulous sellers without specifically bashing hatcheries. Not all hatcheries are guilty of this practice and plenty of private "breeders" are.

27. Unfortunately, due to hatcheries that are advertising them incorrectly, many people are not unscrupulous sellers, they believe that they do have Araucana's and/or Ameraucana's. I have contacted every major hatchery and the response is always the same, they know the difference in the breeds but they don't care to change their labels due to cost. I find that offensive as a breeder who works hard to maintain standards as well as being a member of the Araucana Club

28. Hi, Cathy, a quick question.  I think I may have easter eggers, but was told they were "americaunas".  I thougth they had completely gone off laying, as I haven't gotten a blue or green egg in months.  Is is possible to have the same hen that sometimes lays blue eggs, and sometimes olive or tan?  Love your site!  Sarah in Wyoming

29. Hi, Cathy, quick question.  Is it possible to have the same hen lay blue sometimes, and a tan or olive at other times?  Here I thought I had an aracauna, and I have a sneaky feeling that I have easter eggers after reading your great site. Thanks!  Sarah

30. TheChickenChick11/10/12, 6:27 PM

Nope. I'm sure you have an Easter Egger. Don't be discouraged though, EEs are lovely backyard pets too!

31. I like em all... each breed has it's own individual character...

Makes things interesting... :)
    Now, if ONLY "RACHEL" can home in on that GPS signal
    and make a RUN FOR IT!! !! :) :) ha ha ha  ~M... .....

32. Francesca Austin1/18/13, 2:31 PM

Anyone near Oakland CA have Lavender Aracaunas? I have a tailed Lavender rooster who is quite beautiful if anyone wanted to breed him back to their hens.

33. TheChickenChick1/19/13, 9:52 PM

LOL! Not gonna happen, Michael! :D

34. Great post! I learned early in my chicken keeping that EE's weren't the same as Ameraucanas, but I have recently been wondering about the difference between EE's and olive eggers. This is a great article!

35. Great information. I now know what to watch out for. Thanks..

36. Thank you for this interesting post.  I have not seen a hen lay a blue egg since I was a child, any Ameraucanas I get lay only green eggs.  Enjoyed seeing the olive eggs!  Where can we get real Auracanas?

37. I grew up with Easter Eggers. They were hens mixed in our Banty flock and we got eggs of every color--pink, blue, green, gold. Have bought hens as an adult and only get green or speckled eggs. Had figured out that colors were due to breed mix but not much else. Thanks so much for the extremely informative article. My Bridget is colored like your Lucy and has green legs.

38. Thank you so much for the extremely informative article. I grew up with easter eggers. They were mixed in our banty flock and we got eggs that were blue, gold, greens and pink. Had figured out the colors were due to mixed breeds but not the rest. I've got an olive egger named Bridget that looks like your Lucy with green legs.

39. I just got a couple precious little chicks at a local livestock auction today... they were lableled Auracanas but I knew they were probably EE's ( they are my pets so I don't really care, but one of mine looks exactly like the pic above of the Blue Ameraucana chick :) so maybe she will grow up to be that pretty blue color :) the other looks more like a chipmunk...

40. TheChickenChick3/12/13, 12:50 AM

Congratulations on your new chicks, Terri!

41. disqus_TFmemG1CNy4/7/13, 1:13 AM

we just got 5 new babies yesterday, they're 4 days old. I can't wait for my new little girls to start laying some pretty eggs!

42. TheChickenChick4/7/13, 11:43 PM

Congratulations!!!

43. I bought my four new "Americana" chicks from a local hatchery and didn't even notice the misspelling until I went back and checked just now! I already knew the score when I bought them, though, and figured they were mixed. But I can tell that they are going to have beards and muffs and that's what I love. Mix breed or not, my EEs are loaded with personality and are just adorable.

44. TheChickenChick4/11/13, 10:18 PM

I love mine too. :)

45. Thank you so much for posting the photos as well as the information.. I have a question, we just got 6 pullets, 2 RiR's, 2 white LH's, 1 gold buff, and 1 bard rock.. and a Ameraucana or EE rooster, I was told he was an ameraucana, but going by his color, he is rusty brown back with dark chocolate neck head and tail, with small cream ribbons of color across his wings.... they are all 7 about 6 weeks old... My question is this, after the first clutches are hatched, if Fabian is an EE, approximately what egg colors can I expect from the hens that are raised from the first clutch hatch..{and we call him Fabian, because even at this young age, he croons to the girls.. lolol... as we have them in the mud room till it warms up more, we get to hear him croon quite often..lol}

46. Not sure what I have at this point. Guess I'll call em Easter Eggers and just enjoy my ladies :) Can't wait for the first eggs soon!

47. Thank you so much for all this information. I have also purchased a couple chicks recently ( just starting out and only familiar with traditional breeds such as rocks, orpingintons. The breeder called some Easter diggers, other americaunax, and did not bother to differentiate or explain differences. My boys love raising chickens as well, and the information you provide is a marvelous resource to get them started on the right foot. Thank you.

48. Thank you so much for ALL the information you give to us. I have started off with only basic knowledge on raising one of my favorite creatures - chickens, & you have been the best resource of information for both my boys and me. Learning about my cross beak, how chickens develop, feeding, brooding, & now clarification between the Easter diggers, Ameracaunas, & Aracaunas, which sadly, I have also run into breeders & feed stores not really knowing what breed birds they are selling. Thank you, Chicken Chick, very much.

49. TheChickenChick5/3/13, 11:25 PM

Easter Eggers can lay any color of egg. Since they carry genes for brown and blue eggs, they can run the full spectrum of colors in between the two.

50. TheChickenChick5/3/13, 11:33 PM

My pleasure. Thanks Pennilynn!

51. thank you for this we have the Easter egg chicken's which we thought were Ameraucana also! but are Easter chicks lay gray,blue and some times lite green!

52. cathy becker6/4/13, 9:33 PM

We just hatched 2 olive green eggs for our neighbor, he does not have a broody. Our little Bantem will sit on golf balls !! LOL, we kept one chick and gave him one. Since they were green eggs, do you think she (hopefully she) will also lay green eggs ??

53. thank you. that was soooo helpful! I appreciate it.

54. I got my 4 chicks today from Ideal hatchery in Cameron, Tx. They were sold as Ameraucanas, but all 4 look different. Now I am wondering if i actually have EEs... They were inexpensive, and very cute, so I don't really care either way. Still, wondering what I have....

55. My family has 1 10 week old (my favorite, she's so sweet "Buttercup") and we bought 6 5 week old chicks a couple of weeks ago. We live in Texas (ie, it's super hot here) but my 10 week old doesn't seem to be as large or developed as my 10 yr old son insists she should be. I have to admit, she seems small. Is there a way to tell or can you direct me to a way to tell if we're doing something wrong? Other than that, she seems healthy and happy and is super domesticated and a part of the family:-)
    p.s. thanks for your great site!!

56. TheChickenChick7/11/13, 12:03 AM

Just watch to see that she is not being kept from the feed by the other birds. If she is eating, there's nothing more that you can do about her size.

57. I am so grateful that I found your blog BEFORE buying my chickens! I'm learning soooo much! We are bldg a coop that will hold 6-8 chickens. It's going to be sooooo hard to choose only 6! ha! I'd like friendly, nice chickens so I'm thinking of Orpington's, barred Rock, an Easter Egger, laced Wyandotte (sp?). Do you think those breeds would get along well? I'd also love to get a Silkie, do you think a Silkie would be okay with the other bigger birds? They are just so darn cute! Oh too hard to choose!!! ha. Thanks sooo much!

58. TheChickenChick7/16/13, 7:22 PM

I raised my Silkie with the rest of my birds and she never had a problem.

59. Kathy do you have any roosters for sale. Thanks Gary

60. TheChickenChick8/2/13, 3:49 PM

They admit that they are selling Easter Eggers, which I believe because they don't know the difference between an Ameraucana and an Easter Egger.

61. Lori Edmison8/8/13, 8:40 PM

I learn something new every time I check in.

62. Lori Edmison8/8/13, 11:42 PM

Faverolles are very gentle (and in need of repopulation assistance).

63. im thinking abut geting a ester egger but i cant think of a good site to get a coop on. do you no a site?

64. I have a question. I got a "Olive Egger Rooster" He is- half Black Copper Marans and half Wheaten Ameraucana. In order to get the olive eggs, do I need to breed him to a dark brown egg laying hen in order to get the olive eggs, Or do I take the eggs from their mating and hatch them, in order to get a olive egg? Thanks

65. Would love to get some "true" Easter Eggers here in Canada. Do you know if they would tolerate the colder climate, and if so, do you know anyone who would be willing to ship up here?

66. Tami Hansen8/13/13, 6:26 PM

I was wondering the same thing.

67. Cathy Vandenberg- Hill9/5/13, 1:09 PM

Thank You SO much for such a clear and accurate page on these breeds. As a breeder of Araucana's, it's been a challenge to educate when there are "unscrupulous" breeders as well as uninformed sellers that are selling anything that lays a blue egg as Araucana or Ameraucana. I raise the black variety of large fowl Araucana and I just wanted to let you know that I refer buyers to your blog frequently

68. TheChickenChick9/6/13, 12:41 AM

Thanks Cathy! And thank you for sharing your pics.

69. This is helpful information. I now believe I have one Americana and one Easter Egger and not Arucanas as I was originally told. I get a blueish egg from the Americana and a greenish egg from the Easter Egger, who by the way is named Lucy and Ethel :).

70. Is there any Ameraucana breeders near Tulsa I would like to get a start of this breed, I did raise araucanas when I lived in California but that was 15 years ago.

71. Red sex links are great beginner chickens. Mine considers my family and I as part of the flock! they even come when called!!

72. Dawn Bitsky Indpendent Represe9/25/13, 1:31 AM

Thank you for explaining this in simple terms. I'm pretty sure I had bought Ameraucanas or AmerIcanas 2 years ago, but after reading your article, I'm now sure they are EE. No worries, I love them just the same! Added bonus, I have a very colorful & interesting flock to watch! :)

73. Shel Reitmajer9/25/13, 1:48 AM

Thank you! I didn't know the difference. So, my girls are either Easter eggers or olive eggers. If they lay light brown eggs, which are they?

74. Don't forget to get a Speckled Sussex! They are so friendly and inquisitive! Mine begs to picked up and snuggled every day!

75. Lisa Frazier9/25/13, 10:31 AM

Hi Kathy, Any chance you'll be breeding your Olive Egger? I just love her coloring and would love to buy one or multiple chicks like her. We had 2 Ameraucauna chicks this year and neither survived. One had a cross beak and couldn't get enough feed or water and just wasted away. The other was killed last week by a predator. I'm so sad and miss them both so much. I would love an Olive Egger like yours.

76. Elizabeth Nicole Stelling9/25/13, 3:08 PM

Very informative! I didn't know what tufts, beards and muffs were. I see one of my easter eggers has muffs and wondered about that. She has a lot of brown in her coloring while the other three that I got are more black, gray, and white. They told us that they were mixed breeds when we bought them with I think it was bantam (?) mixed in. They all have their own personalities and even their voices and vocalizations seem to be unique from each other when we talk to each other. Great article! Thanks.

77. TheChickenChick9/26/13, 8:04 PM

I'm not in tune with breeders across the country, sorry.

78. TheChickenChick9/27/13, 5:54 PM

So sorry for your losses, Lisa. I do not sell chicks, however.

79. Just curious.. What would a French blue marans rooster and a olive egger hen have? What color eggs? Is it a good cross? Just got my chickens not that long ago .. LUV them they are a kick! Thx for feedback!

80. TheChickenChick10/4/13, 8:14 PM

It'd be a second generation Olive Egger (aka: Easter Egger). The eggs should be a deep,dark olive green.

81. Abby Higgins10/19/13, 8:26 PM

2 eggers and an auracana/wyandotte. the varying shades of blue/ green are amazing to me every day. LOVE them!

82. I saw some beautiful Ameraucanas at the state fair today. A young man in my area breeds them, Padillas Peeps I think he calls his little home hatchery. He has other breeds too. I hope some day I'll have room to get one of his birds and an olive egger too. My EE still shows no sign of wanting to give me an egg. 23 1/2 weeks, I'm thinking she'll be closer to 30 weeks but I'll keep my fingers crossed that my blue egg will come sooner than later.

83. Danielle Barzee10/19/13, 8:36 PM

Thank you for the clarification. I thought I had an Aricuana, that is whatI ordered. But she is of the copper tones and just started laying olve green eggs. Thanks to you I now know that I have an olive egger.

84. No, a hen will only produce one color. The shade may vary egg to egg, but you will never see a green and then a blue, for example.

85. Thank you for the great info! The pictures really help. I just picked up an 8 week old "Ameraucauna" that I now know is an Easter Egger. I really wanted the Ameraucauna. They had a Wheaton hen that resembles one, maybe I'll go get another. :) ...any excuse for another

86. TheChickenChick11/5/13, 7:56 PM

Who needs an excuse for more, Michele? LOL!

87. Andrea Manfredo11/10/13, 3:10 PM

Thanks for the info. You always have such great information on chickens. I will be getting my babies in the spring, and my husband will be building me a coop. Plan on getting one of those Ecoglo brooders, and building a chick brooder out of a repurposed plywood crate. Eagerly awaiting spring!

88. TheChickenChick11/10/13, 4:27 PM

Very exciting, Andrea! Please let me know if you have any questions at all!

89. I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but is there anyone in my area that will sell either fertile eggs, or chicks of any of these 3? I really want more Easter Eggers - love their sweet personalities and intelligence!

90. My Barred Rocks are very docile and amazing layers!

91. Ferne McAllister12/2/13, 7:05 PM

Kathy - you are a wealth of info! Now I'm a little suspicious in general of hatcheries that sell Americaunas... thanks for the heads up.

92. Ferne McAllister12/2/13, 7:07 PM

Hi Shelly - wondering where in CT you got the Ameraucana, if you don't mind sharing.

93. TheChickenChick12/3/13, 12:39 AM

My pleasure. :)

94. TheChickenChick12/3/13, 12:39 AM

I hatched my Ameraucanas from eggs that were shipped to me from Louden Farms in Ohio, Ferne.

95. Sandy in Orlando12/4/13, 7:41 AM

Hi Cathy! my friend and I both purchased two Americaunas. She purchased her adults four months ago. I purchased my adults two months ago. She has never gotten an egg. I received eggs from each of my ladies the day after i brought them home and that is it! They are living with red stars and RIR's. They are eating Nutrena organic laying feed (my yolks are beautiful!). We are so stumped. What are we doing wrong?? They get along well with others and get to range every day for a few hours in afternoon. We live in Florida. They are not molting. Help??

96. Thanks, great site. I have learned so much. I have an Egger, but she looks more like a hawk with more browns. She is about 8 months old and stopped laying in Sept. The Buff and Delaware are laying, but not her. She looks good and nothing out of the ordinary. Started adding ACV to water. Any other ideas?

97. TheChickenChick12/16/13, 11:47 PM

She'll get there. Patience is the only ingredient necessary at this point. ;)

98. The only concern I have with my sikies is that My Black Copper Marans Rooster "Doodle" I a bit heavy for mating with the silkies; 4 times as heavy and my white silkie in particular goes out of her way to avoid him.My White Silkie "Yang" has bore a son by him "Little Pea" after Popeye's Child "Sweet Pea" and looks very similar to a Buff Brahma hen but I think it's a rooster.

99. David Sullivan12/21/13, 11:03 PM

Does anybody have the large type easter egg ,they are large as any buff orrp.maran hen .I'm looking for some they also fluffy

100. you are magic- a beautiful green egg last night- after 3.5 mos. Added ACV to water a couple of weeks ago as well. Thanks!

101. David Sullivan12/25/13, 3:28 AM

I want layers that are big as buffs orrps fluffy LF but lay colored eggs! Need help!

102. I was sold two delightful little Olive Eggers as Ameraucanas at a local feed store. Given that they are little egg laying champs, are easy to handle, and smart enough to learn tricks, I wish I had bought more of them! This was the same feed store that sold me a Silver Lace Wyandotte instead of the Barred Rock I had wanted, and I didn't know the difference in how the chicks look at the time. I will not be buying chicks there again any time soon, even though I love my EE's. Anyway, if I could clone my one bird I absolutely would. She outlays all three of my others and is as sweet as can be. The other EE lays nearly as much (but she took forever to start laying!), and is smart, smart, smart. She is the first to figure out a new trick.

103. Rona Garrison1/1/14, 3:41 AM

My grandma's life long friend raised tons of chicken and goats. My first batch of chicks passed from lice. So for my birthday She gave me some Araucana's from her Araucana's The rooster had tufts. My hens had a little tufting and laid mostly blue in light to medium shades, but some green and even a light rose quarts color. I showed them at the county fair and everything. This was back in the late 70's to early 80's. Go figure

104. Margaret E. Kellogg1/6/14, 5:37 PM

Those are all nice hens, I have them all. Depending on the bird, they can all be very friendly and personable. Black australorps are nice and good laying hens as well.

105. Bianca DiRuocco1/19/14, 11:00 AM

I have Wyandottes, Rocks, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas & more in my very mixed flock. One of my Golden - laced Wyandottes is Queen of the Roost, but the other Wyandottes in the flock are pretty laid back. The Buff Orpingtons are probably the most laid back and my NH Reds are tied with the Ameraucanas for most active. The Reds seem friendliest, with the Rocks & Brahmas close behind. My one and only rooster is a Lakenvelder, Hector, who definitely doesn't like my husband, but lets me handle him just fine.
    Generally, my birds seem to get along OK, although whenever I've combined groups, there has been some adjustments in pecking order, with occasional broken feathers.
    Your choices sound good to me. Enjoy your birds!

106. Marne Harris Long1/19/14, 11:49 AM

K Harris, I'm glad I saw your post. I have an answer for you - If your chicks are raised together those breeds will be fine together. I have a Red Star, an Easter Egger, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Silkie cross, a Black Jersey Giant, and 5 Olive Egger pullets. My flock gets along great. The Jersey Giant, the Easter Egger, and the Silkie raised the Olive Egger pullets. My silkie cross is from a Splash Silkie roo and a White Leghorn hen, she is small like the silkie - and she does quite well at holding her own - she is not the top hen, but she's not at the bottom of the pecking order either. Good luck with your new adventure!

107. Marne Harris Long1/19/14, 11:55 AM

When I bought my original flock, I bought 5 chicks at a chain ranch needs store. The sign on the tank they were in said Aracauna - I thought I was getting the rumpless, tufted true Aracauna - they were not - they are Easter Eggers. So sometimes even though a person knows what the difference in the birds is, they still end up with something else.....a few days later I realized what they were - still great layers and pretty birds with good personalities.

108. Elizabeth Nicole Stelling1/20/14, 3:33 PM

Great article! Thank you for this information.

109. TheChickenChick1/20/14, 8:01 PM

Thanks Elizabeth!

110. Wow! glad I found your site! You put the whole "which chicken is which" confusion in brilliantly easy terms. I was going to try to order some olive eggers this Spring, but I see I may already have the right chickens to do the job. You say you need a Maran and a blue layer for Olive egg chicks. I have a Cuckoo Maran rooster and several blue/green easter egger hens. Does the Maran have to be a Copper to work?

111. TheChickenChick1/25/14, 10:53 PM

Any Marans will work. An Easter Egger might give you some green hue, but it might not be olive.

112. Eilene Corcoran1/29/14, 8:07 PM

I loved my easter egger. She was a tan color. I think she may have been a cross between an Ameraucana and maybe a buff orphington? I definitely plan on getting another one this spring. I can't wait for Chickenstock! Here in NC, they have a twice a year gathering of all sorts of breeders, farmers, buyers for the sole purpose of celebrating, selling and buying chickens and other fowl, since there are usually some turkeys, ducks , quail, etc. It's so fun!

113. I have 2 chickens I thought were Ameracaunas but now see they are EE's. They are 11 months old now and have stopped laying completely. They never layed a lot but I was getting 2 to 4 light green eggs a week. Then they slowed down to one a week and now none for 3 weeks. I thought the cold weather might have slowed them down but my other 9 (5 different types) have all picked back up as the weather improved and are laying regularly. Eight of them are almost 2 years old and my Maran is 11 months. I get 4-6 eggs on average per day from them. Some days I get up to 8. They all roam the backyard daily and are fed the same feed. Any suggestions?

114. Darlene Trasorras Echevarria2/9/14, 9:20 AM

Is there a way to tell if a chick is name or female? I have an Easter Egger and a Barred Rock. I'm praying they're female cause we're not allowed roosters here. I can send pictures if I knew how or where to send them to?? Thank you!!

115. Teresa Perry2/9/14, 10:41 AM

Hey Eilene.where is Chicken stock? I live in eastern NC?

116. Eva Johnston2/9/14, 11:30 AM

Thank you Kathy for all this information. I just LOVE the Blue Ameraucanas...hoping to add some to my flock this spring.

117. Very helpful. Thanks!

118. Wow I learned so much from this Article!! Thanks so much!

119. I learned so much, and I have green eggs, and we wondered it there was something wrong with them. So interesting. I've got Ameraucana at least 2 blue, marans and easter eggers.
    The green egg shells are very hard.

120. Denise Allison Magil3/3/14, 6:47 PM

121. Barbara Sherman3/3/14, 7:18 PM

I ordered my Ameraucanas from Murray McMurray and I should get them in two weeks. I am new to the chicken world and am eggcited to get them. Your articles are so informative, thank you for the research and care you take in writing these articles. I have learned more from your articles than from books. Thank you!

122. Real poultrypride3/3/14, 9:04 PM

Thank you so much. I know I even have confused them unknowingly! I just hope I can remember all that! I think I need to retread your article!

123. Trudy Parcher3/3/14, 9:06 PM

Kathy, is there a way to post a picture of some of our eggs? After reading your article, I have no idea who is laying what. Would really appreciate it if you could help identify who has laid what. We have buff orpingtons, red stars, "Ameracaunas" (that's what the sign said; now I know differently) and a duck that's a runner cross.

124. Lisa Sutton Killian3/4/14, 7:49 AM

Kathy, do you have a picture of a full grown Olive Egger hen? Thank you.

125. Nursefarfar3/5/14, 7:23 PM

Does anyone know if EE have a muff when they are chicks? Bought some today, they seem to have a little one but not sure. Thanks

126. TheChickenChick3/5/14, 8:38 PM

Yes, they will.

127. Dawn M Smart3/7/14, 4:23 PM

I am curious.. I am starting out with my first cross americana hens and black copper morans.. Question, what creates a MORE olive hue? This original cross, or breeding back to Moran Roos, or breeding the mixed offspring. should I keep a couple of the roo crosses, or will my original Moran Roos do?

128. TheChickenChick3/7/14, 9:06 PM

I'm not into the breeding and genetics of breeding, so I can't advise you on this topic. Sorry!

129. TheChickenChick3/8/14, 9:23 PM

Probably a light brown.

130. I will be beginning my journey with raising chickens for eggs. I live in Southeast ohio and have been told these breeds are very hardy for this area. Could you give me names of reputable breeders and the best books to get started.

131. Roberta Johnston3/10/14, 8:40 AM

Great article- you cleared up my wonderings about my flock! Now I need to win the incubator!!

132. I loved that lesson! I've been very confused seeing people post EE or Ameraucanas because they never look the same as someone else's EE or Amer.

133. Cyndi Phillips3/12/14, 10:55 PM

For a more olive egg, breed the olive egger back to the Marans. Breeding them to each other will make a greener egg. Breeding back to Ameraucana will make a bluer egg.

134. Elizabeth Quinn Dennis3/18/14, 9:15 PM

We decided to show chickens for 4h (up until this point chickens had just been a discussion). My husband took it upon himself to come home with 3 Ameraucanas. Adorable little girls. They have names and everything. They're quite obviously not Ameraucanas. They're EEs. We'll definitely be keeping them because they'll serve as pets and as an animal care project but we will be acquiring a chicken my daughter can show. I've learned a lot in the past 2 days about chickens. Thank you so much :)

135. TheChickenChick3/19/14, 9:46 AM

Congratulations on your new pets, Elizabeth!

136. Sara Robinson3/20/14, 12:50 PM

My local Chicken store has "Ameracaunas" coming in tomorrow. How do I know exactly what I am getting?

137. Mary Muse Charmer3/22/14, 11:52 AM

Fascinating. I am getting five Araucana chicks from the feed store and was wondering the difference. (It's totally okay if they're Easter Eggers.) I'm told the hen that I got last year who lays blue eggs is an Araucana, but I will take your photos out and double check. Great info!

138. porjotrucker@gmail.com3/22/14, 1:21 PM

Att woods has white with black patches, claiming to be Americanas? So do you know what chick is like a painted white and black?

139. Margie DeCaro3/22/14, 3:33 PM

Going in a few weeks to get some little ones. Thanks for the clarifications here, Kathy. Very helpful!

140. Vickie Redmond3/23/14, 10:53 AM

My Easter Egger lost all of her poufy feathers under her beak then went broody has 2 happy chicks from adopted eggs. Will she get her fluff back? She is looking like a 100 yr old man with a ruff neck like that.

141. TheChickenChick3/24/14, 11:36 PM

Thanks Mary. :)

142. IndianaHealing4/6/14, 9:17 PM

I have 5 Easter Egger chicks, I'm excited to see what color eggs I get. I have one layer now that has blue hues to her eggs! Love my girls!

143. Rita Kaplan-Gruskin4/9/14, 11:32 AM

I adopted 8 young chickens last summer... 2 are Barred Rock hens, but i was clueless as to the others! 3 are black hens that are laying green, copper & brown-brownish/pink eggs!! 2 are GORGEOUS roosters, 1 is black/red/copper with ear tufts & the other is black/copper/gold with no tufts... The chicks are black/yellow & 1 is yellow/bronze... Help?

144. Amber Kulmer4/10/14, 2:03 PM

Ok So if U want to get some EEs you need to buy what? Lol Im just confused.

145. Christina Doyle4/10/14, 10:34 PM

You can buy EE as is from many different places. I have found they are often times called Ameraucanas mistakenly, but they are pretty common if you don't want to breed your own.
    If you do want to breed your own, you need a true breed Ameraucana and any other bird you want. Anything basically. EE are just the mutt descendants of an Ameraucana and another bird.
    If you choose to breed your own birds to get EEs, you can experiment with different types of crosses for different types of egg colors from your EE.
    An EE hen that came from an Ameracauna and Maran (often times a Black Copper Maran) will give you olive green eggs, making it a popular choice for a mixed breed.

146. still lookin4/14/14, 6:46 PM

So….still don't see anything in the discussion on REPUTABLE hatcheries of Ameraucanas. Can anyone share that info?

147. I'm looking for easter egger chicks , I live on bowen island and just got 4 chicks on Saturday ,Ancona,barnvelder ,welsummer,and a Dominique ,I'm willing to do a bit of driving to find easter eggers but I would like them soon so I can keep them with my other ones. Anyone one have an idea who to call? I got the others in Chilliwack from Beau Peep Farms,they have ameraucanas but I would really love the easter eggers.

148. Stephen Sofley4/24/14, 11:13 AM

Wow nice collection of hens. You were lucky adopting those. We are hatching olive and easter eggers in a few days. Want a french balck copper maran too.

149. I was going to order a bunch of EE for blue eggs, and some wellsumers for super dark eggs and to cross with EE for olive eggs, brown leghorn for white, and jersey giant for light brown. After reading this I now realize EE don't just lay blue eggs some already lay green? What would the % be on the differn't colors? I'm now debating whether or not to get EEers, maybe I should try to find real ameraucanas? I was going for EEgrs because of the price and they lay good.

150. Thank you so much for clearing this up for me! For the last 3 months I thought I had Aracuanas (because that's what they were labeled as when I purchased them) but in fact I have Easter Eggers!!!

151. I have four hens, one is an Ameracauna. Two were raised together and one of them is laying but not the Ameracauna. She sits on the nest but so far has not produced an egg. I though perhaps she was laying in the yard so I have kept them up until afternoon. Today she was in the box for at least an hour and nothing,

152. Katy Herring5/21/14, 10:22 AM

I just ordered a few Easter Eggers from the Meyer Hatchery (b/c they had a small min order) and I'm due to get them toward the end of June (I'm so Eggcited!). My question is this: On the MY PET CHICKEN website it says they are NOT broody and lay 4 X Large eggs/wk (which is where I got my information to decide on ordering that breed) but on the MEYER HATCHERY website it says they ARE broody and lay 3-4 Medium eggs/wk (which I didn't read until after I ordered b/c I thought I knew) Which is it?

153. Vickie Redmond5/21/14, 10:41 AM

Need some help here my Easter Egger started losing all her feathers under her beak in the winter she now looks like an old person with a long bare neck.

154. See my reply to your question on Facebook please.

155. I love Easter Eggers and their big heads.

156. What kind of breed of chicken I need to make a easter egger?

157. Vickie Redmond6/4/14, 3:19 PM

Yes I do I have what the kids around here call the Dalmatian chickens they are a mix from my Rooster Popcorn who was a gorgeous Black Australorp and one of his White Leghorn ladies.

158. How do I share a picture of my mixed breed. I have a Rosster and a Hen which are breed from a Black Copper Marans rooster and a white Silkie hen (Silkie Marans) The rooster's personality is silkie like while the hen Is more Maran like. These are sweet birds, good flyers and have fast reaction time. https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10342824_10204205348441037_1935099258042322986_n.jpg https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10291178_10204034228523146_5421166568043468392_n.jpg

159. Eilene Corcoran6/4/14, 10:50 PM

What would you get if you crossed an easter egger roo with an easter egger hen?

160. Shel Reitmajer6/5/14, 4:41 AM

Would light brown eggs be an easter egger?

161. Krista Brandt Pederson6/8/14, 9:49 PM

You would not get an Easter egger chick? What kind of barnyard mix could you get?
    Also, I have a black Americana roo and easter egger hens. What would they produce together? Do you have a good resource on how I can learn all about the genetics of all of this?

162. Beautiful site!

163. How do I tell whether my Araucana is a male or female? The chick is eight weeks old now and is bigger than the other eight chicks (of varying genus and/or species but of the same age). S/he seems to be more in charge and display signs of being a male (watching over, pecking at others, flapping his wings while puffing her/his chest). Must I just wait till he sings to know for sure? I can send you a photograph if that would help. (Do you respond to email or do I check the site again?) Thanks!

164. Now there is one hatchery that has true Blue Ameraucanas. mypetchicken.com

165. This will help you figure it out, Margaret: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/how-to-sex-chickens-male-or-female-hen.html

166. Cheree Hull7/9/14, 8:59 PM

I'm hoping you can help me out here. I was after some variety in egg color so I added in Aracaunas to my latest order but here's my story: http://livelylatte.blogspot.com/2014/07/please-help-identify-new-chicks-on-block.html (please excuse my lately-ignored blog!) I also sent this to Fresh Eggs Daily and who quickly informed me that I probably do have Easter Eggers, which I'm happy about but what are the black/white and the gray/white that I got? At first I was worried but now that it looks like we'll have some color, I'm kind of having fun with this! LOL PS Have been enjoying both of your blogs for some time now!

167. They're hard to find. Do a google search but most will either sell only eggs or older chicks (about 6 weeks old), not pullets.

168. Angela Zimmerman7/15/14, 8:32 PM

Thank you so much! I get so annoyed when people sell Ameraucanas and add extra letters or misspell on purpose. I had a lady try to sell me frizzled Ameraucanas. Umm...not a thing. That's a EE. Anyways, LOVE my EE and I just finally found an Ameraucana. So glad I know which is which and now I can back it up by ONE site!

169. Great article! We were sold "AmerICANAs" and apparently, they are, in fact, Easter Eggers. Good to know! :D We love them and one of the hens has a thing for my husband. She sits on his shoulder when he's out doing chores and follows him around like a puppy. It's cute.

170. Julie Pascal7/23/14, 7:38 PM

I'm planning to order a few chicks from Murray McMurray... I will note that they clearly state that they are selling crosses, not purebreds, and the birds can't be shown. The last Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas I got were from a different hatchery and it seems to me that Murray McMurray's birds are more colorful and have more colorful eggs.

171. Atet submission..... they are twins...

172. ATET suggestion by Lisa V: Her secret is, that she has ALWAYS admired painted nails... she dreams as she sleeps that her nails would be perfectly manicured and painted! She doesn't even care the color... just something flashy that sparkled... maybe even a painted flower or rhinestone! She knows that if her dream came true, the others would think she was a flusey. They would peck at her beautiful toes... So she keeps her deep dark secret for when she is fast asleep in her dreams

173. ATET submission Kris Nelson. The deep dark secret is that right after she decided not to join the nunnery she had 6 different babies with 6 different baby daddies and gave them up to a fellow broody to raise.

174. Sarah Spiegel7/23/14, 10:35 PM

ATET Submission: Sarah S. Once, upon finding a broken egg in her nest, Melinda tasted a little of it and LIKED it. She has craved fresh egg ever since. P.S. I don't want the chicken feed, just to win the contest.

175. Melanie Rose Hill7/24/14, 1:26 AM

Melinda's secret is...... *waiiit for it*...... *waait for it*.. She is .... A lesbian!!! *gasp!* (Henbian? Er, maybe not lol) She tried to give Liza (or..?) a juicy peck on the waddle but unsuspecting Liza (or..?) squawked in horror and ran away as fast as she could!! Melinda didn't even think about what she was doing, it just seemed right to her in the moment. Poor Melinda was so ashamed and disgusted with herself... But she can't help it, she was hatched that way! - Melanie Rose Hill

176. Melanie Rose Hill7/24/14, 1:31 AM

Oops... ATET SUBMISSION! (I can follow directions... Sort of... Lol)

Melinda's secret is...... *waiiit for it*...... *waait for it*.. She is .... A lesbian!!! *gasp!* (Hensbian? Er, maybe not lol) She tried to give Liza (or..?) a juicy peck on the waddle but unsuspecting Liza (or..?) squawked in horror and ran away as fast as she could!! Melinda didn't even think about what she was doing, it just seemed right to her in the moment. Poor Melinda was so ashamed and disgusted with herself... But she can't help it, she was hatched that way! - Melanie Rose Hill

177. Juli Morris7/24/14, 2:54 PM

ATET submission - chickitychick56@hotmail.com Melinda, while in young henhood, had a brief encounter with a handsome roo... He could have passed for Caesar's father! Oh he was good looking! As a result, when Melinda laid her third egg, it was discovered to be fertile. She was young.. and afraid.. The other hens all had tried to attract his attention, but the attractive roo never crowed at them. She feared for her very life - those biddies would just scratch her eyes out! And how would she ever protect her chick? She was too young.. and too inexperienced. So the precious egglet was given up to a broody friend who hatched and raised it as her own. Liza somehow caught a cackle about this and has held it over Melinda's comb ever since. With threats and blackmail. she has forced Melinda to participate in the eggnapping incident. "Wait till the roos hear this!" she cackled... "You will never have an egglet again!" Melinda longs for a chick of her own, and so has kept silent all these long months...

178. Diana Netland7/25/14, 9:46 PM

Thank you so much for the information. There are city people who have moved out here and they are selling so many different pullets that they call Americanas. I just cant do it. I try so hard but I am keeping my mouth shut to them just don't buy from them. Thank you again!

179. Ellen Riddle Marique7/25/14, 10:49 PM

thank you. lots of great information. I have three EE'S. One is a bantam EE :)

180. Nicole VanBuren Milton7/25/14, 11:11 PM

I bought mine online from McMurray and I think it is an Easter egger

181. Terri Brooks Tribble7/26/14, 2:50 AM

That explained it very well. I've never really gotten what the difference was. Thank you!

182. Debbie Culbreth7/26/14, 10:05 AM

Thanks for this article. We have some Ameracaunas and several easter eggers and olive eggers, but didn't realize the difference until now. I knew their was a difference but was accurate on the exact differences. Thanks again

183. The pictures with ee 12 weeks old. The one on the left wS it a roo or pullet? Looks like mine and I am trying to sex it.

184. I'm an enthusiastic chicken novice who just purchased an 'AmerIcana'. I've been waiting patiently for my first blue/green egg. I was told that she just started laying last month... Well, imagine my disappointment to see that she had in fact, laid a very ordinary light brown egg! Any chance that EEs lay a regular one colored egg every now me then?

185. That's disappointing... This gal looks just like your EE Lucy. I wonder what kind of bird she is? Any chance I could send you a picture?

186. HI, I got two Barred Rocks and two Rhode Island Reds. The Rhode Island Reds ended up being roos, which I wanted them for the eggs. I have a small coop and run so I ran out to the local Amish community and traded (well gave away my roos) for a couple of "Araucandas" (that's what the sign said...but according to your pictures they look more like your Ameraucanas, which is fine. I built another run on the end of the other one but they escaped while I was gone (so we rounded them back up and put them back in) during the day I put the fat Barred Rocks in the new run and shoo the Ameraucanas into the older run. They stay down there until my DH and I go to work at 2:30 when I put the Barred Rocks back into the same run. The Barred Rocks peck at the Ameraucanas so bad that they run up to the coop and hide in the nest boxes until I shoo them out in the morning, by this time they're famished. Will they ever make friends? I tried leaving the Barred Rocks in the new run while I was at work and putting them to bed when I got home, after dark, but they wanted into the coop so bad they found a way out of the new run (which I do have poultry netting over) and jumped onto the top of the 8' run and were sitting on top of the poultry netting up there when I got home and let them in. I feel so bad for the Ameraucanas getting picked on so bad!

187. Hi, I have two Barred Rocks, that were hatched around March 30th. I had also received two Rhode Island Reds, at that same time, which turned out to be roos. I wanted eggs so I went to a local Amish family and traded my roosters for two "Araucanas" but by looking at your picture I believe they are really black Ameraucanas (which is fine the important thing is they're girls.) Anyway I brought them home and built a run onto the end of the existing run but everyone wants to go into the coop at night otherwise they get upset and find a way to jump the 8' fence or just escape. So I ended up letting the Barred Rocks into the extended run in the morning and l then shoo the Ameraucanas out into the attached run but I have to leave for work at 2:30 so I put the Barred Rocks into the run with the other two (because they are escape artists too when they want to get into the coop at night) but they peck the new girls so bad that they end up spending the afternoon, evening, and morning until I get out there and seperate them all in the nest box! When will the madness end? I want them to all get along and be happy, not afraid.

188. So I thought my first egg would end up being blue or green, as my first submissive squater is, what I believed to be, an easter egger. So far I've ended up with 2 brown eggs. Now they could be from my Wyandottes; I have no way of knowing. My question is, if my 'EE' has the beard and muffs, with olive legs, could she be something other than an EE, and if so, what?

189. I received what I thought was Ameraucana eggs (Blue rooster with wheaten hen). The eggs were light blue, but the photos of the parents never showed tufts or beards. Does that mean that I do not have Ameracauna chicks?

190. araucana man9/22/14, 9:52 PM

My araucanas are about 5-6 months old when do they normally start laying can someone help me