Aug 18, 2011

Got FLIES? Vanilla Scented Christmas Trees in the Chicken Coop

Got a fly problem around your coop and run?  Here's a solution you're going to have to try to believe. It's inexpensive and effective: vanilla scented automotive air fresheners. You heard it right: vanilla Christmas trees.

I do not claim to know WHY they repel flies, but I can attest that they do. Deploy an army of them liberally around your coop and run where they will remain relatively dry for maximum efficiency and economy.  I use 9 of them at a time.

Personally, I don't just want the flies to relocate (eg: migrate up to my house or garage), I want them GONE, so I use two Trap & Toss® fly disposable traps, one near each coop. I buy the traps at Tractor Supply for about five bucks each. Be forewarned:   these traps contain the fetid stench of a thousand garbage cans containing raw meat, locked in an air-tight garage during a month-long heatwave. You really don't want to spill this putresence (or stand near it, for that matter). Somehow the flies prefer to the smell of death to vanilla. Go figure.

Here's my most recent testimonial to the effectiveness of these little yellow trees. After having given my chickens an entire watermelon, cut into pieces, I left the rinds scattered about the yard overnight. Tactical error to be sure. By morning, flies had descended upon my backyard with a fury.  I rolled out the Vanilla Scented Tree Army and by that afternoon, the flies were gone. True story. Try it yourself and let me know how it works for you!

1. I so have to try this! We have already switched from deep litter to Stall-Dri (works miracles).
    Can't wait to try it!

Replies
    1. What is Stall-Dri? Now I am interested.

2. I use the Rescue fly trap. I was pretty sure the attractant was the worst smelling thing in the world until it filled with flies. Now I know a fly trap filled with dead wet flies takes that honor. Yikes!

I'll try the Vanilla tree thing. I need a way to discourage flies from hanging around the house, annoying guests and monopolizing our conversations. Thank you!

3. to recharge them is it pure extract or can i use artificial extract

4. @Dawn: I use pure extract.

5. I will be buying a forest of those little trees!!! I'll hang 'em near both front & back door of the house, & hang them in the house, too! Plus around/inside We used the fly-traps last summer...Oh, my stars...the smell was horrid!!! But we'll probably use them again this year, too...

6. I have four fly traps up on back patio. The flys are not going any were ...It is over run with flys. I have baby chicks in boxs on patio. going to try this. I hope I can sing for Joy very soon....................Lynn Crone

7. oooh going to try this for sure! We have the same vanilla trees here in the UK, although, I suspect, for a much higher price ;0) I used a fly trap the year before last, it worked great, but oh the smell! The cheapest I could find in the UK worked out at about $25!!!! I left it hung in a small tree in our garden til winter, it froze solid, so I could put it straight in the bin (garbage can) without getting covered in rotting fly crud!

8. Not sure I have seen the yellow trees out here, but definitely going to buy some. I have been using the trap and toss fly catchers for several years and I am not sure what is worse the flies or the smell. Yellow trees here I come. Hoping for winter soon to freeze them out.

9. These trees bring back memories of a boyfriend in high school, but if it gets rid of the flies I'll give it a shot!

10. Jeannie Clemens5/20/13, 3:49 PM

Amazing, I can't wait to try it. For some reason they like my mothers front entry. I hung trap last year, but it was pretty disgusting to see.

11. Deborah Paterson7/7/13, 2:09 PM

I will give his a shot for sure. I have only just developed a small fly issue in my run, maybe from all of the rain we have been getting. I do not leave any veggies or fruit in my run except for the odd swinging cabbage ball.

12. I put the trap and toss in the coop and I trapped ONE fly. Gonna try these yellow christmas trees next.

13. Patricia Stowe7/17/13, 3:16 PM

I tried vanilla scented air fresheners but that didn't work. :( Maybe it has to be the trees? I tried a different brand (they were leaves) and it didn't smell very vanilla-ish...more like twizzlers. LOL. I'm going to try some trees.

14. TheChickenChick7/17/13, 9:52 PM

I suppose there are worse things your chicken run could smell like than Twizzlers! lol

15. Patricia Stowe8/9/13, 9:50 PM

just wanted to let you know I did end up getting vanilla trees instead of the others...the trees work! I've had them up for a few weeks now... they still smell good and no flies! Amazing! So anyone else wondering...be sure to get the brand that are trees! :)

16. TheChickenChick8/9/13, 11:15 PM

Outstanding! Happy to hear it, Patricia!

17. I ordered the Vanilla trees as soon as I read your article. They worked a miracle in my coop! No bugs of any kind and the coop smells wonderful. I am redecorating my coop inside and out. I was doodling on the outside and my feet and ankles were bitten by thingies that were not seen by the naked eye. I thought about my Vanilla Trees and I hung one under one of the sunbrellas I put out there for extra protection from hawks. Poof! No more invisibles! Y'all! Do what the girl says!

18. Jennifer Shaughnessy2/16/14, 2:29 AM

that is easy enough and will make it smell good. Ok to put these in the coop or just run?

19. TheChickenChick2/16/14, 11:22 AM

Anywhere you need them, just don't let the chickens get to them.

20. Ok, this I have to try, just to believe it. Great tip!

21. Linda Donner Eisenhauer5/8/14, 5:43 PM

What do you have covering your run?

22. Kathy,
    I am reading you blog daily as my chicks are in incubation.
    We have not ordered but want an automatic coop door.
    Do you know of a good one that works well in cold weather? It can be battery or electric.
    Thanks

23. This is the door we use after two different brands repeatedly failed over the past few years. This one does not have the fishing line type system that is prone to breaking. It was SUPER simple to install! http://amzn.to/1mwooUu

24. Birdie Barb6/5/14, 11:36 AM

Cool! Will be emptying out the supply of these buggers at our local store today! Will get some traps too! Thanks!

25. I did a search on web and found the vanilla trees for less than $ .50 each in bulk.

26. nancy weckbacher6/15/14, 8:21 PM

I am going out to buy my Xmas trees. It worth a try

27. Kim KiKi Puckett Martin6/22/14, 12:16 AM

Ima get those

28. Ima get some too!!

29. Danielle Wilson7/11/14, 10:34 PM

Has anyone had issues with the 'stinky' fly traps attracting predators, like bears?

30. Patti Bowden7/29/14, 7:00 PM

I just started to have a fly problem--the culprit? Watermelon rinds left in the run all day. I am going to try the vanilla trees. And no more rinds…..my spoiled girls will have their melon cut up for them!

31. I've been buying these in bulk on Amazon for the past few years, and yes, they are amazing! I haven't had a fly problem since I started hanging these around.